External backup device

Old December 19th 08, 11:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bughaters[_2_]

Default External backup device

I have a 320GB external harddrive by SimpleTech.  I want to use it specifically for backup purposes.  How do I continue a regular monthly backup and not worry about exceeding the 320GB capacity.  Is it a good idea to leave it plugged in and schedule a monthly backup schedule.  As of right now I used it once successfully but I unplugged it until I do another backup.  Bottomline, what is the recommended use of external harddrives for backup purposes?

Old December 19th 08, 11:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richie Hardwick[_2_]

bughaters wrote:

I have a 320GB external harddrive by SimpleTech.  I want to use it specifically for backup purposes.  How do I continue a regular monthly backup and not worry about exceeding the 320GB capacity.  Is it a good idea to leave it plugged in and schedule a monthly backup schedule.  As of right now I used it once successfully but I unplugged it until I do another backup.  Bottomline, what is the recommended use of external harddrives for backup purposes?

Use 'em to make the backup then disconnect 'em.

Richie Hardwick
Old December 19th 08, 11:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Timothy Davis [MSFT][_2_]

Use 'em to make the backup then disconnect 'em.

Out of curiosity, why do you recommend disconnecting the drive between
backups?

Old December 19th 08, 11:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Timothy Davis [MSFT][_2_]

This depends on what you are wanting from your backups, and how you intend
to respond to computer problems.

Consider the following scenarios:

1: Your computer goes up in a cloud of smoke, and your are forced to get a
new machine
- In this case the only files from your backup that are going to be
important are your data files (documents, videos, pictures, MP3s, etc).
Your applications being backed up are not going to do you much good, as for
the most part you won't be able to restore them to a new computer

2: Your hard drive fails
- This is really the only instance where a full backup will be useful to
you - as you can put in a replacement drive, and restore the data.

3: You get a virus/malware/software problem, and want to restore to an
earier time
- The problem here is that you may have picked up the virus two months ago,
which is now part of your backup. Same with malware/software problems.

4: You made changes to a document, and decided that you want to revert to an
older version. Or you delete a file that you really want back.
- If the version of the file you want is not in the monthy backup, you are
screwed

Most modern backup software do a full system backup the first time they run,
and then do incremental backups after that point. The incremental backups
only backup things that have changed - so they are very quick and do not
take up nearly as much room as the full backup.

The incremental backups also allow you to maintain a sort of file
versioning - so if you backup nightly, you can revert to an earlier version
of that essay you were writing - or restore your machine to any time an
incremental backup was taken.

I highly suggest you look into a good backup solution, and do nightly
backups.

Old December 20th 08, 01:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richie Hardwick[_2_]

"Timothy Davis [MSFT]" wrote:

Use 'em to make the backup then disconnect 'em.

Out of curiosity, why do you recommend disconnecting the drive between
backups?

I would think the answer should be obvious: to limit the possibility
of a problem involving a power surge, etc. trashing the backup.

I know that possibility is a remote one.

Richie Hardwick
Old December 20th 08, 03:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Timothy Davis [MSFT][_2_]

I would think the answer should be obvious: to limit the possibility
of a problem involving a power surge, etc. trashing the backup.

I know that possibility is a remote one.

Makes sense. I was concerned that there may some other reason I was
oblivious to.

This woudn't work for me, as I would eventually 'forget' to make my monthly
backup - and eventually skip too many backups before the inevitable would
occur.

Old February 1st 09, 09:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
muffingirl

Thanks for the info. It was helpful. What would a really good back up
solution be for an average computer user like myself. I want to protect the
info on my C hardrive in case of computer failure. I can easily save docs
etc. on another location but the system stuff is important. What size backup
drive would you suggest? Thanks.