Screen Resolution

Old December 26th 08, 11:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Sulaiman

Default Screen Resolution

Hi

I am unable to set my screen resolution to 1280x1024.

I am using the latest nVidia Drivers for graphics card and the display is
working at that setting when using XP.

The monitor drivers that I am using is the Generic Non-PnP monitor drivers
and it does not allow me to select a refresh rate of 60Hz when I change
resolution settings on PC.

OS: Vista Premium with SP1 and all other latest updates.

Please assist as to where I can find the latest monitor driver that I can
use, I am having a 17inch CRT.

Thanx
Old December 26th 08, 04:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DonQ[_4_]

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 04:46:07 -0800, Sulaiman
wrote:

Hi

I am unable to set my screen resolution to 1280x1024.

I am using the latest nVidia Drivers for graphics card and the display is
working at that setting when using XP.

The monitor drivers that I am using is the Generic Non-PnP monitor drivers
and it does not allow me to select a refresh rate of 60Hz when I change
resolution settings on PC.

OS: Vista Premium with SP1 and all other latest updates.

Please assist as to where I can find the latest monitor driver that I can
use, I am having a 17inch CRT.

1280x1024 isn't a standard resolution for a CRT monitor.

Don
Old December 26th 08, 04:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
LVTravel

wrote:

Hi

I am unable to set my screen resolution to 1280x1024.

I am using the latest nVidia Drivers for graphics card and the display is
working at that setting when using XP.

The monitor drivers that I am using is the Generic Non-PnP monitor drivers
and it does not allow me to select a refresh rate of 60Hz when I change
resolution settings on PC.

OS: Vista Premium with SP1 and all other latest updates.

Please assist as to where I can find the latest monitor driver that I can
use, I am having a 17inch CRT.

1280x1024 isn't a standard resolution for a CRT monitor.

Don

Don, It is a standard for some CRTs but not a 17 inch one. My old 19 inch
CTX monitor loves the 1280 X 1024 resolution @ 75hZ and my old Dell with an
old nVidia card drives it great at that resolution and speed at full color
resolution under Windows 2000 Pro. Since my projector that is attached to
the computer (though a amplified splitter) has a native resolution of 1024 X
768 that is what I normally drive it at but the switch is quick when I'm not
using the projector. Since the OP was using that resolution for XP OS there
should be no issue for the Vista system.

Old December 26th 08, 04:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
LVTravel

"Sulaiman" wrote in message
Hi

I am unable to set my screen resolution to 1280x1024.

I am using the latest nVidia Drivers for graphics card and the display is
working at that setting when using XP.

The monitor drivers that I am using is the Generic Non-PnP monitor drivers
and it does not allow me to select a refresh rate of 60Hz when I change
resolution settings on PC.

OS: Vista Premium with SP1 and all other latest updates.

Please assist as to where I can find the latest monitor driver that I can
use, I am having a 17inch CRT.

Thanx

Have you gone to nVidia for the drivers for the Vista OS? XP drivers may
not work with that card at that resolution and Vista's built in drivers may
also not have the proper resolutions. Look for the proper Vista drivers on
nVidia's website. If they don't have specific Vista drivers the card may
not be able to be used at that resolution in Vista.

Let us know if any further help is needed and include the video card
specifics, model, memory on the card, etc.

Old December 26th 08, 04:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

Your Monitor driver is fine.
It is your Nvidia driver which talks to the monitor driver which controls
the resolution.
Since 1280x1024 is not a standard resolution I suspect that you were using
1024x768 with your CRT monitor over VGA.
It is more likely

Old December 27th 08, 03:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Sulaiman

The strange thing is that I was able to use the resolution 1280x1024 up to
about a week ago and then it suddenly refused to take the changes.

I made no changes to my system, it just started acting this way after a
started one day. I think it has something to do with the monitor dirver as it
is using the "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" driver.

Graphics Card - nVidia GeForce 6600, 128Mb onboard, using the latest drivers
from nVidia version 178.24.

I think it has to do with monitor drivers, I am using an AOpen monitor and
cant find drivers for it.

Old December 27th 08, 04:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

Both of my Vista systems use the MS generic monitor driver.
What is the version number of the drivers from the Nvidia Website that you
are using?
Have you checked in the Nvidia Control Panel to be sure that Showing all
Modes is enabled?

Old December 28th 08, 06:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Sulaiman

Hi Curious

Manually added a screen resolution of 1280x1024 to the config in the nVidia
control panel. Didnt know that I coul do it.

Working good now.

Thanx