Adding IDE Drive to New System with ATA / SATA Architecture

Old December 28th 08, 10:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Derek King

Default Adding IDE Drive to New System with ATA / SATA Architecture

Finally got a new system, made my buy, no problem with Vista [ Hitachi HDP725
SCSI 160GB HD ], (new drive). Added Maxtor 'OneTouch' USB 500GB external HD
for backup. I attached my Samsung SP1203N 120GB HD using a UDMA connection
cable to the primary IDE connection on the system board. The OS is WinXP Pro
SP2

When I rebooted I went to the BIOS to see the drive was recognized, and it
showed an accurate approximation of used and available space. Exited BIOS,
restarted, and came up to the "start option" for improper OS shut down /
start correctly. Restarted, and the WinXP Pro SP2 I have on the drive will
not start up.

I'm not getting a 'blue' screen. When I connect the 'old' drive with the
'new' drive up and running the Vista, my 'old' drive isn't detected. Back in
BIOS I noticed that my 'old' drive is either in the HD 1 or 2 slot and the
'new' drive is ALWAYS listed in the 3 slot. In short ... if I connect the old
drive and restart the old drive comes up first, and the OS won't start. If I
try to connect the old drive while running, detecting or adding hardware
doesnt work and the drive will not show in "my computer".

Is there a way for me to get around this problem without trying to repair /
recover the XP on the old drive and save the data? I believe a repair or
recover could ruin critical information.

Old December 28th 08, 11:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DL

You allready have a thread on this in another group
multiposting causes confusion

/

Old December 29th 08, 02:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Andy

With both drives connected, go into BIOS setup, and look for the Hard
Disk Boot Priority or Hard Disk Drives setting. Move to the top of the
list the drive you want to boot from.