Vista Banter

-   General Vista Help and Support (http://www.vistabanter.com/general-vista-help-support/)
-   -   Repair Install Vista over Vista question (http://www.vistabanter.com/152158-repair-install-vista-over-vista-question.html)

Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net January 17th 09 10:58 AM

Repair Install Vista over Vista question

Hi
I must have downloaded a virus/trogan/malware because system restore
and my Microsoft office suite won't work and I've been googling
looking for a fix, but with no success so far

Is it possibe to run a repair of Vista rather than a full re-install?
--
Martin
©¿©¬

Rick Rogers January 17th 09 11:30 AM

Repair Install Vista over Vista question

Hi,

Doing a repair install (or in-place upgrade) will not remove a virus or
trojan. You need to either concentrate on actually removing the malware or
backup data and start with a clean install.

Start with cleanup tools from malwarebytes.org and superantispyware.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net January 17th 09 01:18 PM

Repair Install Vista over Vista question

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 07:30:14 -0500, "Rick Rogers"
wrote:

Hi,

Doing a repair install (or in-place upgrade) will not remove a virus or
trojan. You need to either concentrate on actually removing the malware or
backup data and start with a clean install.

Start with cleanup tools from malwarebytes.org and superantispyware.

Thanks Rick
I have used malwarebytes, Nod 32 AV, & Spybot
malware & Spybot found & removed one item each
I have also re-activated system restore in the registry, but it is
still not working, and office says it is not on the computer
I tried to re-install, but it failed!

It looks like I've got the opportunity to go back to XP
--
Martin
©¿©¬

Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net January 17th 09 05:03 PM

Repair Install Vista over Vista question

To follow up, I did a system restore in safe mode & everything is
working again hip, hip
--
Martin
©¿©¬

Tony UK January 17th 09 08:32 PM

Repair Install Vista over Vista question

Are you also using Norton Internet Security? Please see my post on this which
is newer then yours today.

Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net January 18th 09 05:58 PM

Repair Install Vista over Vista question

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 13:32:05 -0800, Tony UK
wrote:

Are you also using Norton Internet Security? Please see my post on this which
is newer then yours today.

NO, I wouldn't have Norton anywhere near my system
--
Martin
©¿©¬