F-secure and junction points

Old February 24th 09, 06:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Mervita

Default F-secure and junction points

Hi!

I've got a problem with F-secure Client security and Vista junction
points named application data. The virus scan gets stuck in these
recursive folder structures or the scan takes ~6h.

The folder is: \\?\C:\Users\All Users\Application Data\ where
Application data appears 14 times.

I've understood that this might be a problem with a particular
anti-virus software but at F-secure they did not know about this
problem. So, has anyone stumbled on this problem with F-sec or another
anti-virus prog. and what has been your solution?

Furthermore, what is a correct number of recursive folders in this
path? I'm thinking that there might be a program in my computer creating
too many of these loops.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

WR, Mervi

--
Mervita
Old February 24th 09, 08:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
MowGreen [MVP]

Mervita,

If there are 14 different Application Data subfolders at
C:\Users\All Users then there may be some sort of file corruption going
on. Configure F-secure to not scan the folder since nothing can be
'stored' there anyway and see if that restores the one subfolder that
should be there

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Old February 25th 09, 04:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Sam Hobbs[_2_]

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "recursive folders" but the
maximum size of a "path" is 260 (with some exceptions). In this context, a
path includes the filename. The following might be too technical for you but
it does provide all the details.

File Names, Paths, and Namespaces
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...um_path_length

Old February 27th 09, 07:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Adrian Accinelli[_2_]

"Mervita" wrote in message
Hi!
I've got a problem with F-secure Client security and Vista junction
points named application data. The virus scan gets stuck in these
recursive folder structures or the scan takes ~6h.
The folder is: \\?\C:\Users\All Users\Application Data\ where
Application data appears 14 times.
I've understood that this might be a problem with a particular
anti-virus software but at F-secure they did not know about this
problem. So, has anyone stumbled on this problem with F-sec or another
anti-virus prog. and what has been your solution?
Furthermore, what is a correct number of recursive folders in this
path? I'm thinking that there might be a program in my computer creating
too many of these loops.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
WR, Mervi

F-secure has a bug.

If you look at C:\ProgramData it contains a junction called Application Data
which points to C:\ProgramData itself. [see it: run cmd.exe - dir
C:\Users /AL]. By itself this forms a loop. Since all roads to the "All
Users" folder actually lead to C:\ProgramData (e.g. taking C:\Documents and
Settings\All Users or C:\Users\All Users routes), applications that
enumerate through this space will encounter the loop.

In this case F-secure enumerates C:\Users\All Users and finds Application
Data which it treats as a regular folder so recurses inside and continues
enumerating. This brings it back to where it just was and eventually sees
Application Data *again* and recurses inside...

Vista adds security to deny everyone the ability to list folder/read data
from most of the standard junctions - including Application Data. F-secure
is not honouring them.

So there's two ways that F-secure could be fixed to prevent this problem -
ignore junctions themselves or honour the security permissions on the
junction itself.

Sincerely,
Adrian Accinelli