How can I format a 1.5TO HD

Old March 25th 09, 03:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Stephen Ellis

Default How can I format a 1.5TO HD

I have just added a 1.5 terra octet hard disk to my system and am unable to
format it correctly.

When I ask Vista Pro to do a straightforward format it blocks at 73%
(roughly 1 terra). I have tried 3 times to get the same result so I thought
that I would outsmart the system by making two partititions one of 976.56go
and the second of 420.70go but although the first partition was accepted and
formatted, the second format is blocked at 11%.....

Help!! How can I use my full 1.5terra?

Steve

ps
What is GPT?

Old March 25th 09, 05:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
LVTravel

"Stephen Ellis" wrote in message
I have just added a 1.5 terra octet hard disk to my system and am unable
to format it correctly.

When I ask Vista Pro to do a straightforward format it blocks at 73%
(roughly 1 terra). I have tried 3 times to get the same result so I
thought that I would outsmart the system by making two partititions one of
976.56go and the second of 420.70go but although the first partition was
accepted and formatted, the second format is blocked at 11%.....

Help!! How can I use my full 1.5terra?

Steve

ps
What is GPT?

Do you by any chance have nVidia chipset? Right click Computer (Vista) or
My Computer (XP) then left click Device Manager. Left click + next to System
devices. Look for PCI System Management and if it has NVIDIA nForce in
front of it you have an nVidia Chipset. Some nVidia chipsets do have issues
with 1.5 TB drives. (I got mine cheaply from Dell and installed in a
Gateway system. Had the same issue you are describing. Gateway directed me
to the fix.

Go to http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us and choose option
2, Motherboard drivers to have their scan software install. Accept the
program at the top of the browser. When it scans your system it will tell
you the current driver installed and then the recommended driver. The
driver will probably be about 50 MB in size.

Hope this helps, let us know.

Old March 25th 09, 06:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
LVTravel

"LVTravel" wrote in message

[...]

See also
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...ang=en&Hilite=
if a Seagate 1.5 TB drive model ST31500341AS.

Old March 25th 09, 08:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

Nice LVTravel

Many will appreciate this!

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

signature database 3962 (20090325) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3962 (20090325) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old March 25th 09, 08:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
LVTravel

"Richard Urban" wrote in message
Nice LVTravel

Many will appreciate this!

--

"LVTravel" wrote in message

[...]

__________

Actually I am surprised that many more haven't had the issue with the
Seagate 1.5 TB drives with the nVidia chipsets. I was wrong when I said
Gateway supplied the fix, actually Seagate did when I talked to them.

Old March 26th 09, 06:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Stephen Ellis

Wow!!!

Thanks LV that sorted the problem!!

I'm very, VERY, greatful

Regards

Steve

Old March 26th 09, 03:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
LVTravel

"LVTravel" wrote in message

[...]

Glad to be of assistance