Nvidia Forceware 97.46 disables Vista's Hibernate function!!!

Old January 16th 07, 02:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BillD

Default Nvidia Forceware 97.46 disables Vista's Hibernate function!!!

I've installed the latest Nvidia Forceware 97.46 on Vista RTM and hibernate
function has been disabled in Vista.

Old January 16th 07, 11:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SAM-R

It also no longer supports Nvidia 5000 Series Video Cards to run Aero.

Old January 17th 07, 09:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter M

Nvidia's geforce and nforce drivers have been one train wreck after another.

Old January 17th 07, 11:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CZ

I've installed the latest Nvidia Forceware 97.46 on Vista RTM and
hibernate

function has been disabled in Vista.

Bill:

Sleep works here with nVidia 6800 card, v97.46 drivers, and Vista RTM.

Old January 18th 07, 09:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BillD

"CZ" wrote:

Sleep works here with nVidia 6800 card, v97.46 drivers, and Vista RTM.

"sleep" is not "hibernate"!
Old January 18th 07, 12:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CZ

"sleep" is not "hibernate"!

Bill:

True, but in Vista Sleep is a combination of Standby and Hibernate. How are
you entering pure Hibernate in Vista? I will try your method with nVidia's
drivers on my setup.

TIA

Per MS:

Windows Vista introduces a new power state called Sleep. The new Sleep state
in Windows Vista combines the speed of Standby with the data protection
features and low power consumption of Hibernate. Resuming use when your PC
is in the Sleep state takes just 2-3 seconds. You can shut down and restart
your computer less often by using the new Sleep state, a simple one-click on
and off experience which not only reduces power consumption, but also helps
protect your data.

Sleep on desktop PCs
Sleep works in a different way on Windows Vista-based desktops than it does
on Windows Vista-based laptops. When you turn off a Windows Vista-based
desktop, all the documents, applications, and data that are currently in use
are saved in two places. First, they are saved to the memory, or RAM, where
they are quickly accessible (in Windows XP this was called Standby).
Simultaneously, the information is saved to the computer's hard disk (in
Windows XP this was called Hibernate). In Sleep, Windows Vista
simultaneously saves the current user information to both memory and the
hard disk.

Old January 18th 07, 07:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BillD

"CZ" wrote:

True, but in Vista Sleep is a combination of Standby and Hibernate. How are
you entering pure Hibernate in Vista?

pure hibernate is also in Vista start menu, but it's vanished after I've
installed the nvidia drivers.

Old January 19th 07, 02:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CZ

Bill:

I am running two copies of Vista RTM. One has the new nVidea driver, the
other has Vista's driver.
Neither op system has the hibernation option via the Start menu.
Note that Vista Help does show hibernation as a Start menu link.

However, try this:
Change the Start Menu "Shut Down" button
The Windows Start Menu's new shut down default is "sleep" - however, you may
want to change this for whatever reason. To change it:

Click on Start, and then click on Control Panel.
Click on "System and Maintenance".
Click on "Power Options".
Select a power management plan and then click on "Change Plan Settings".
Click on "Change advanced power settings".
In the Power Options dialog that appears, expand "Power Buttons and Lid",
and then expand "Start menu power button".
Click on "Setting" and then choose the function you want the button to
perform - "Sleep", "Hibernate", or "Shut down".
Click on OK.
Close the "Edit Plan Settings" Control Panel window.

Source:
http://www.windows-now.com/blogs/kmk...wn-button.aspx

Old March 18th 07, 04:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dochere195

If you want the Hibernation function back do this: Click start, in search box
type command, right click on command prompt above the search box and click
run as administrator, when command prompt opens type: powercfg /hibernate on
this will give you the feature back.