No Sound after upgrading to Vista RTM from XP SP2

Old February 2nd 07, 09:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Demi

Default No Sound after upgrading to Vista RTM from XP SP2

Did you ever solve this. I have the same exact problem with the final
version. It started with my motherboard Realtek sound card. After days of
not getting it working, I bought a Sound Blaster Audigy SE hoping that
installing it's latest drivers would fix it, but it didn't.

Any help would be appreciated.

"Yuval Rakavy" wrote:

Hi!

I have upgraded my Dell Precision 450 to Vista Ultimate. Before the upgrade
I had really good sound. After the upgrade, nothing...

When I try to play something using Windows Media Player or Media Center, I
get an error that file cannot be opened.

I have tried to reinstall the driver, get a newer one etc. In device
manager the driver seems to be working fine, except that there is no sound!

Any advice is welcome!

Old February 3rd 07, 12:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Martin Werner

I have exactly the same problem with Vista 64 and Soundblaster Audigy SE
(SB0570).
As XP 64 drivers already existed for this card I really can't understand why
they don't
manage to supply a valid vista driver right on time.

mw

Old February 3rd 07, 02:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob Feduniak

I have the same problem on my laptop (Sony VAIO VGN-FE700). It began
a few months ago when I tried Vista Beta RC1 (previously had XP). I
figured it was a bug that would be corrected in the release version.
It wasn't. I bought and installed Ultimate (upgrade) yesterday and
still no sound. Device manager shows nothing under "Sound, video, and
game controllers" except "High Definition Audio Device." There used
to be a few other things there that seem to have disappeared. Perhaps
we have the makings of a Vista Audio Protest Group.

Bob Feduniak

Old February 3rd 07, 11:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Martin Werner

I tried two soundcards

Creative Soundblaster Live24! (SB0570)
Creative Soundblaster Audigy (SB0400)

which should be very common. SB0570 is not being detected by the
driver installer. SB0400 was detected and drivers have been installed
but no sound hardware is listed afterwards.

I wonder if there is at least one soundcard that has both acceptable
quality and perfect driver support on Vista 64 (preferably one from a
different manufacturer than the two above). :-)

mw

Old February 12th 07, 03:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Wolff

Hello,

I myself just bought windows vista x64 ultimate edition. I installed it
everything is going well except for my sound.

On board sound ( Asus k8n mobo )
Creative Sound Audigy 2

Both drivers were installed successfully, infact the onboard sound was
updated automatically.

Device Panel says they are fine. All signs point to that they should be
working (all my plugs are plugged in correctly ( such as the speakers and
power and everything)

Any suggestions?

Rich Wolff

Old February 12th 07, 11:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
IKD

HI,

I had a similar problem with no sound from the line in. Turns out that the
only way to adjust the volume is via the Speaker property settings (right
click on the speaker icon, select playback devices-properties-levels).

Hope this helps

Iain

Old March 8th 07, 09:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gertjan Dieleman

Hi,

I've bought a new laptop with Vista. It has been working well for about 2
weeks now and since yesterday no sound coming when I play music or when I
play the installed standard games. Calling with voip however does work and
when I test the real tech audio card it says it is working.

Does anybody know a solution?

Thanks in advance

Old March 29th 07, 06:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Vista Doc

Short version ---- what is you mobo, processor, and sound card?
(i pretty much have a bunch of 2-3 yr old crap - but it runs vista very
nicely)

Longer version - automatic (driver) updates with vista can screw your
system. Following completion of installation, setup, some hardware
alterations, and 'driver updates' - my pc worked very well (but a bit slow)
for about one week (with all the vista perks, including live and recorded tv).

After some minor optimization attempts, however, my windows media center
sound vanished. I could get sound (in all capacities) in media player 10/11,
and on my normal desktop - but the only application that was audible in media
center was music. I could even record in WMC (without hearing a thing) - and
then play the video file in WMP, with normal audible sound) -- hence, i
decided this was not a hardware issue - but a codecs or driver issue. bottome
line is that everything is working perfectly again, but man was it
frustrating.

point is, you obviously have an audio driver +/- codecs problem. vista
reports that they do not really need alot of 'codecs' yet - but by using the
control panel -- device manager, disable and delete drivers and software --
then find them again from your system, a disk, or the manufacturerures
website --- NOT FROM WINDOWS!

good luck.
-josh

Old April 8th 07, 12:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mikee

YEEESSSS!
it worked. I had no sound nor a recognized speaker, after installing Vista.
I downloaded the supposed audio update, but it didn't work. After reading
your post, I realised that althoug installing the update, the version for the
driver was the old one, so I uninstalled it from device manager, and
installed a new one but pointing to the folder where I downloaded the update.
Thanks.

"Vista Tech" wrote:

I have sen this issue a couple times. Specifically when the sound driver is
installed with a setup program. Sometimes you need to uninstall the driver,
then reinstall it by pointing the Vista to the cd folder where the driver
actually is rather than using the installation program it came with. If you
downloaded the driver then unpack it and do not run the setup file, just
browse Vista to the driver itself. I hope this helps.

Old April 24th 07, 06:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BA1975

Hi. I have had my laptop for a week, I bought it from Dell, I had no sound
and I went to the Dell website for support and she walked me through the
process go into
control panel
sounds

under your speaker settings, make sure that it isn't marked as docking. you
should only have that marked if you are using a docking station. Try it and
let me know what happens. It worked for me! I can hear itunes and all of
my music.