Vista and Nikon CoolScan V ED (LD-50)

Old May 11th 09, 04:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
tar5555

Default Vista and Nikon CoolScan V ED (LD-50)

I was able to install Nikon Scan 4.0.3 to my Vista computer to allow me
to scan slides with the Nikon CoolScan V, but could not install its
drivers. It initially appeared that the problem was with the Nikon Scan
installation program. However, I got message like "Windows could not
load the installer for image" and "The classinstaller registry value is
invalid".
It turned out that to install a scanner, a file is needed:
c:\windows\system32\sti_ci.dll. I had this file, but its size was twice
that of the same file on a different Vista computer. I ran sfc (? system
file check) from a DOS prompt, and this file was defective and the
backup file also was, so sfi could not repair the problem. The log file
where I found the sfc info was c:\windows\logs\CBS\DBS.log in which I
seached for sti_ci.dll. I copied sti_ci.dll from the other computer to
mine. I could not delete the original defective file because it was
super-protected and the protection could not be changed from within
Windows (at least by me). I put the Windows Vista installation CD in my
computer, booted for it, and got a command prompt from within it. I then
could copy the defective file to the root directiory (in case I needed
it), and deleted the original file from the c:\windows\system32
directory. I then copied the "good" sti_ci.dll file to the
c:\windows\system32 directory. After rebooting to Windows, the LD-50
(CoolScan V ED) was able to find and install the driver. Also before I
figured all this out, I tried using the program VueScan which has
drivers for the scanner. It also could not istall its scanner drivers
until I fixed the sti_ci.dll file.
In summary, it was a defective system file on my computer that
prevented installation of the drivers.

--
tar5555