Old March 17th 07, 02:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
koze

Default HDD not recognized

Because it uses the BIOS setting for it while in safe mode.

"S Murder" schreef in bericht
If it loads no drivers, then how am I able to use my other 2 HDDs?

"koze" wrote:

Latest chipset drivers for the MB installed?
Seems to me the Chipset isn't workin 100% (drivers) and not reporting
corrcet to Vista.
In safe mode there are no drivers loaded.

Ko.
"S Murder" schreef in bericht
I tried that program too, but I'm not sure what to look for.

Other helpful info:
I just put all my computer stuff into a new case, and got a new CPU
fan.
Windows started, crashed twice, and I booted into Safe mode. In Safe
mode
everything worked fine, and when I rebooted into normal mode is when I
had
these problems.
The DVD/CD drive appears like it should in the Device Manager, but not
in
My
Computer and there's also an unknown DVD drive in Device Manager.
Both the HDD and DVD/CD drive appear fine in the BIOS.
I'm back in Safe Mode, and the problems are still there.

"Don" wrote:

S Murder wrote:
I used the tool, but it doesn't let me export the info to a file,
copy
and
paste the text, and it doesn't even show the time the events
happened
(only
dates). I looked at it, and all it says is that it installed a bunch
of
Updates and that it failed to install the HDD drivers a bunch of
times.

Thanks for trying it. The big question is why the driver installation
failed. If you're up to a bit more detective work I strongly advise
using this great debugging tool:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...ssmonitor.mspx
(The download link is way at the bottom of the page.)

It requires no installation. Once you unzip it you can even run it
from
your Desktop if you want.

If I had your problem I would use it to monitor which directories
Vista
searches while looking for its driver files. It will also tell you
which Registry keys are accessed and more, if you want it to.

If I could reproduce the bug I probably could have found the answer by
now (

"Don" wrote:
Please try this: open a command prompt window as administrator and
type
'perfmon'. When the window opens click on the icon for Reliability
Monitor. Browse around there and see if you can find anything to
clue
us all in to what's causing this annoying problem.

Thanks.