Ram & performance

Old June 27th 09, 08:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JB[_5_]

Default Ram & performance

Hello
Vista 32 bit
I've just upgraded my laptop to 4 Gb RAM. Haven't seen any difference. Can
anyone point me in the right direction how to optimize my system for the 4
gb ram.
I saw somewhere that the pagefile should be in a separate partition, another
mentioned windows managed setting. All very confusing.
Thanks
Jen

Old June 27th 09, 09:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

Adding more memory to your computer will only increase performance if it
needed the added memory in the first place. Windows does not require
optimization or reconfiguration to use added memory, it simply will.

news

Old June 27th 09, 09:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Alama

"JB" wrote:

Hello
Vista 32 bit
I've just upgraded my laptop to 4 Gb RAM. Haven't seen any difference. Can
anyone point me in the right direction how to optimize my system for the 4
gb ram.
I saw somewhere that the pagefile should be in a separate partition, another
mentioned windows managed setting. All very confusing.
Thanks
Jen

As you probably already know Vista 32 bit does not support 4GB ram, you can
have it installed but it cannot make use of all of it.

please also read how to increase performance in Vista:
http://www.hd720i.com/How-to-increas...ce-260752.aspx

Sent via Microsoft technology people portal
http://www.hd720i.com/Ram-performance-279236.aspx

Old June 27th 09, 11:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Manny Weisbord

Alama wrote:

"JB" wrote:

Hello
Vista 32 bit
I've just upgraded my laptop to 4 Gb RAM. Haven't seen any difference. Can
anyone point me in the right direction how to optimize my system for the 4
gb ram.
I saw somewhere that the pagefile should be in a separate partition, another
mentioned windows managed setting. All very confusing.
Thanks
Jen

As you probably already know Vista 32 bit does not support 4GB ram, you can
have it installed but it cannot make use of all of it.

That is wrong. It supports 4GB and uses all of it. What is available
for program usage is less than the total 4GB.

Old June 27th 09, 12:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dennis

Manny Weisbord wrote:

It supports 4GB and uses all of it.

But it is not. Check other similar posts on the subject. It is RAM vs
address space.
Old June 27th 09, 01:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP

"JB" somehow@somewhere wrote in message
news
Hello
Vista 32 bit
I've just upgraded my laptop to 4 Gb RAM. Haven't seen any difference. Can
anyone point me in the right direction how to optimize my system for the 4
gb ram.
I saw somewhere that the pagefile should be in a separate partition,
another mentioned windows managed setting. All very confusing.
Thanks
Jen

Some processes benefit from more memory, and others are dependant on CPU
performance. You should be able to have more stuff open at any one time, and
your machine will not use the pagefile as much. You may not perceive much
difference but your computer will benefit.

You should keep the pagefile, leave it where it is, and set it for System
Managed

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Old June 27th 09, 02:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

I ran Vista 32 bit and am now running Win7 with 1GB of memory on my wireless
laptop. I normally have 4-6 applications open some of which get updates
over the internet every couple of minutes.
Unless you are running video editing or file format conversion programs I
don't think you would notice any improvement with the extra memory it would
just keep more data in disk cache which you probably never will need to load
back in.
32 bit Vista can not itself use all of the 4GB since it has to provide
memory address space to your graphics card for the memory it has onboard and
which it will use for some graphic card operations and address space to any
other hardware controllers with their own onboard memory.