Vista Banter

-   Windows Vista File Management (http://www.vistabanter.com/windows-vista-file-management/)
-   -   Impossible to format BD-RE (http://www.vistabanter.com/168050-impossible-format-bd-re.html)

grendi August 1st 09 08:27 PM

Impossible to format BD-RE

Hello all!!

I have Windows Vista 64 bits ultimate with SP2 installed.
I'm trying to format a BD-RE 25gb (LG) and it does not work, Windows tries
to format and then says "unable to complete the format".
What should I do? Do other brands of BD-RE work?
Thanks

Gz

Bill Daggett August 1st 09 09:06 PM

Impossible to format BD-RE

"grendi" m wrote:

Hello all!!

I have Windows Vista 64 bits ultimate with SP2 installed.
I'm trying to format a BD-RE 25gb (LG) and it does not work, Windows tries
to format and then says "unable to complete the format".
What should I do? Do other brands of BD-RE work?
Thanks

Gz

I believe that you will need a third-party app to do that. Question:
WHY do you even WANT to do it?

Richard G. Harper August 1st 09 09:36 PM

Impossible to format BD-RE

Windows Vista does not support native burning to any Blu-Ray media. You'd
need a third-party program to accomplish this.

"grendi" m wrote in
message ...

grendi August 1st 09 10:28 PM

Impossible to format BD-RE

"Richard G. Harper" wrote in message
Windows Vista does not support native burning to any Blu-Ray media. You'd
need a third-party program to accomplish this.

One of the features of Vista SP2 is the ability to record onto blu ray
natively:
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/win...ck-2-beta.aspx

Bill, you use your comp and medias in a different way, vive la difference,
but still I need to burn onto BD-RE using the packet writting method :)

So if anyone managed to format a BD-RE please let me know. thanks

Gz

Bill Daggett August 1st 09 11:33 PM

Impossible to format BD-RE

"grendi" m wrote:

Bill, you use your comp and medias in a different way, vive la difference,
but still I need to burn onto BD-RE using the packet writting method :)

THAT you DEFINITELY will need third-party software to do.

Definitely.

grendi August 2nd 09 02:29 AM

Impossible to format BD-RE

"Bill Daggett" wrote in message
"grendi" m wrote:

Bill, you use your comp and medias in a different way, vive la difference,
but still I need to burn onto BD-RE using the packet writting method :)

THAT you DEFINITELY will need third-party software to do.

Nope, still no. I'm using the packet writting method to write on DVDRW's and
this is native to Windows Vista (even without any service pack). When
Microsft announces SP2 supports blu ray writting, it does not mean there
will be a Microsoft software handling the job, it's just drag and drop
through Windows Explorer, aka "packet writting".
Gz

Richard G. Harper August 2nd 09 09:50 AM

Impossible to format BD-RE

Ah, so it does. Missed that, been running Windows 7 too long. :-)

"grendi" m wrote in
message ...

grendi August 2nd 09 11:18 AM

Impossible to format BD-RE

"Richard G. Harper" wrote in message
Ah, so it does. Missed that, been running Windows 7 too long. :-)

Interesting. So, does Windows 7 support packet writting on BD-RE's? I guess
it does, as it is newer than Vista, but I'd like to see it confirmed...
See you soon,
Gz

Badger[_3_] August 4th 09 08:23 PM

Impossible to format BD-RE

Grendi,

Doesn't the Blu-Ray disks come already formatted?

Badger

"grendi" m wrote in
message ...

grendi August 5th 09 04:59 PM

Impossible to format BD-RE

Doesn't the Blu-Ray disks come already formatted?

I'm not sure. Anyway I can't find any way to name the volume so I guees
there is a problem.
Another problem: after my unsuccesful attempt to format the disk, Windows
does not recognize it.
gz