Vista 64bit rpeventing file copy

Old October 11th 09, 12:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Guest

Default Vista 64bit rpeventing file copy

On Explorer's toolbarinthe folderis therea button "Compatability Files"?

--
..
--
"Tony Vrolyk" wrote in message
I sell a program that I wrote in Access and have had a couple customers
with 64 bit versions of Windows Vista where if I send them an updated file,
via email or download, it appears as though the file has copied over the
old version but when they run the program it is still the old version of
the program. Is there some underlying copy protection that is preventing me
from copying over the file yet does not report any error or security
warning?

Here are a couple details
* The original install program installs the Access runtime, my program and
related system files. The program itself is made up of two files. one
Access MDE (like a read-only Access file that contains all the coding) and
a database file.
* I then sent them an update which consists of a zip file that contains a
new MDE. They are to copy that over their existing MDE in order to use the
new version.
* In one instance I was able to remote into the customer's PC and do the
file copy it myself. I can see the file copy, the file size and date
appear to be correct for the new version but when I would run it it would
run the old code. Ths PC was an HP laptop if that makes any difference

This is driving me batty. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Tony

Old October 11th 09, 01:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
lemur

It has to do with Vista's shadow copy.

--
lemur

::If *ANYONE* in this forum helps you, please click on
their *REP* icon. Thanks! (the middle scale icon in the upper right
corner)::

Old October 12th 09, 12:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Tony Vrolyk

This seems the most promising direction. I did some quick looking up and MDE
files are one that is protected. I don't understand why Windows would
consider my app a protected file but it seems to fit the pattern. The
solution according to what I found it to create my updates as bona fide
installers and not just a simple file-copy.

I will test this out. Thanks for the help.

Tony

"FromTheRafters" erratic @nomail.afraid.org wrote in message
Read up on Windows Resource Protection (WRP) to determine if your file is
being "protected". Userland users may experience silent protection whereas
as an administrator they might get an error message (--clue).

Old October 12th 09, 12:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Guest

No it doesn't. It has to come with windows to be protected. Your symptoms
are to do with compatibility files.

--
..

Old October 12th 09, 10:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
FromTheRafters[_3_]

Check to see if your "new code" is being saved into a virtualized
"Program Files" within the user's profile.

See this also,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927387