Old March 24th 07, 04:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

Default Single vs Dual Core Performance

I have a single core processor (Athlon XP 3200). You said "on the same
hardware". If I switched my hardware to be dual core that would not be the
same hardware (CPU, M/B and RAM).

Of course dual core will be faster - even a low to medium processor and 2
gig of the appropriate RAM will beat out what I have now.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

"black clouds" wrote in message
Thanks for your reply Richard but you don't actually answer my question.
Are
you using a single core processor or Duo core and if you are using a
single
core have you noticed SIGNIFICANT improvement to system performance?

I do not think Vista is a dog. The difference in performance on my laptop
with a duo Intel processor (T2400) is night and day.

When I first got my laptop a year ago, with XP pro, I was very
disappointed.
There seemed to be little improvement in performance over my previous
laptop
with a Pentium M 715. That was the case right out of the box, on a new
system
and nothing installed. But the moment I installed Vista there was such a
difference in overall performance it was hard to believe it was the same
machine.
Now there are those who are telling me it’s due to the fact I’m using dual
processor and Vista is better able to take advantage of dual processing
power
over XP. Does that mean those who are using single core processors shouldn’t
expect to see much improvement in performance over XP? (That doesn't mean
it's a dog, just that performance will be pretty much the same.)
The article I provided a link too says pretty much the same thing:
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/13487 I want to know how true it is?

So, as much as I appreciate your comments, you haven't answered the
question. I don't know what kind of processor you are using and telling me
Vista isn't a dog doesn't mean anything. Have you noticed any significant
improvement in overall performance over XP and what kind of processor are
you
using?

For my part I wouldn't go back to XP for anything. I have some minor
software issues with Macromedia Fireworks 8 that are a little annoying,
but
I'll put up with it. My computer has taken off since installing Vista,
it's
awesome, but should I be telling friends it's due to the fact I'm using a
dual processor, that's what I want to know. Let's get some feedback from
those who are using single core processors.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

Memory dims. A person who upgrades soon forgets how Windows XP use to
run.

A better question would be asked of those who dual boot.

I dual boot so, obviously, the exact same hardware is used no matter
which
operating system I use.

I have found that now I boot into Windows XP every 2-3 days - just to
update
the antivirus and anti spyware programs. I then immediately reboot and
use
Vista.

I set my computer up from scratch with Windows XP on the second partition
so
that when I was totally satisfied with Vista I would eventually delete
the
XP partition and claim the space for my D: partition. I am very close to
carrying out that option.

So, I guess that must answer your question. If Vista were a dog I would
be
doing just the opposite.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

"black clouds" wrote in message
I'd like to know if anyone using a single core processor has noticed
any
significant improvement in performance after upgrading to Windows Vista
or
is
it only those with Dual Core processors that are noticing significant
improvements to performance? (Please, this question is for those who
were
previously running XP with the same hardware, if you’ve increase your
RAM
or
made other hardware upgrades then it's hard to determine if your
performance
improvements are really due to the new OS.) Thanks

Relating to this issue you may also find this article by Christopher
Null
of
interest: http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/13487