error '339': Component MSCOMCTL.OCX not correctly registered

Old December 5th 09, 08:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
OldGrantonian[_2_]

Default error '339': Component MSCOMCTL.OCX not correctly registered

I have Vista Home Premium 2-Bit.

When I try to launch Duplicate Cleaner (a free file duplicates finder),
as non-administrator. It launches OK (without UAC). But of course, some
duplicate files cannot be deleted because DC is running non-admin.

If I try to launch as administrator, I get UAC and: "Run-time error
'339': Component MSCOMCTL.OCX not correctly registered."

Here are my troubleshooting steps:

- Search C drive for all copies of MSCOMCTL.OCX. Only one copy in
System32.
- Download and install MS VB6 Common Controls from MS site.
- Launch DC non-admin. OK. (But there is no UAC dialog)
- Close and relaunch DC as admin. Get UAC and error 339.
- Rename MSCOMCTL.OCX to MSCOMCTL.OCX$
- Launch DC non-admin. I get 3 messages:

. . o The UAC dialog (which I didn't get
previously!! See above.)
. . o Msg "Feature not available. Insert Dell CD."
. . o Error 339

- Note that I did not insert Dell CD until I also tried to launch DC
as admin.
- Try to launch DC as admin. Get UAC and error 339.
- Retry to launch non-admin, but this time insert the Dell CD when
prompted.
- The Dell installer ran, and DC was launched correctly with no
further messages (and no UAC).
- There's a new copy of MSCOMCTL.OCX in System32.
- Close DC.
- Try to launch CD as admin. Get UAC. Click Allow. Get error 339.

Here's some interesting points about the previous:

- If MSCOMCTL.OCX is available, there is no UAC for DC as non-admin.
- If MSCOMCTL.OCX is *not* available, there *is* UAC for DC as
non-admin. (I'm no techie, but I don't understand this.)
- As non-admin, there is no error 339, but as admin I get error 339.

Can anyone help with this mess?
Old December 5th 09, 10:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dave-UK[_2_]

.

--
OldGrantonian

Did you install Duplicate Cleaner as admin?
If not, try uninstalling Duplicate Cleaner, then install as administrator.
Right-click the install exe and select 'Run as administrator'.

Old December 5th 09, 04:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
OldGrantonian[_2_]

Drew Tognola;1197133 Wrote:

regsvr32 "C:\Windows\System32\mscomctl.ocx"

I've tried that several times. No luck
Old December 5th 09, 05:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dave-UK[_2_]

Dave-UK;1197115 Wrote:
Did you install Duplicate Cleaner as admin?
If not, try uninstalling Duplicate Cleaner, then install as
administrator.
Right-click the install exe and select 'Run as administrator'.

Yes. I do all installations "as administrator"

I've uninistalled and re-installed DC about 100 times

--
OldGrantonian

I don't know the answer.
I've just downloaded version 1.4.3 and on Win7 with UAC on or off it works fine.
If you haven't got the latest version all I can suggest is try updating it.

Old December 6th 09, 02:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Weavertech89[_2_]

Most people on vista and windows 7 doesn't know that the administrator
is disable in thier OS. It might say that you are the administrator
under your user, but really your not the main administrator! That is why
if you were to open a program or tool on the desktop it will say you do
not have permission do you wish to continue. To unlock the administrator
you must type in CMD in the start search and right click command prompt
and run as administrator. type in "net user Administrator /active:yes"
(it will say it was successful) no quotation marks when you type. log
out and you will see a administrator account, double click it and set up
your desktop. you can backup everything from your last account on to
this one and delete the old account. you will beable to do anything with
out any trouble... hopefully!