DUAL-Monitor-System with ATI&NVIDIA

Old February 2nd 07, 12:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Clint

Default DUAL-Monitor-System with ATI&NVIDIA

"Slugsie" wrote in message
"Frank Lauter" wrote in message
Hi

Yes of course but I have "only" AGP & PCI - New Mainbord 200 Bucks New
CPU 900 Bucks New 2 PCIx VGA Cards 700 bucks... So 2100 to get Vista
running?!

snip

You should be able to quite cheaply purchase a PCI card that matches your
AGP card chip manufacturer and add additional screens that way. Total cost
probably around $100, maybe less if you buy second hand/ebay.

(oh, and 200+900+700 2100 )

There's also no reason to spend $900 on a CPU, and $700 on 2 PCI-Express
graphics cards. You can get an E6300 processor for $200, and the graphics
cards for $150 each (7600GT or equivalent), all prices from NewEgg.
Considering the age of your system (AGP and PCI), it's likely that those
upgrades will blow the doors off your current setup, even with the cheapest
C2D processor and a low/mid-range cards. Of course, you'll likely have to
buy new memory, too.

rare? Yes for the consumer market but for developer I think nearly
everybody has at least 2 Screen... (ok that works with one VGA card...I
know..)

Not true. I am a software developer for one of the largest IT companies in
the world, and no-one where I work uses dual monitors (mostly becuase the
company wouldn't fork out for the cost).

Really? That sucks! I couldn't imagine doing development work without dual
screens anymore. And even my last company, who was broke/cheap, scrounged
together the money to get dual screens for the developers (nobody else) when
confronted with a few whitepapers. At my current contract, EVERYONE has
dual LCD panels, either 17" or 19". That surprised me.

Three screens would be nice at times, but I don't have the physical desktop
space for them. And at work, I'm limited to what my laptop can drive, so
dual displays include the display on the laptop.

Clint

Old February 3rd 07, 03:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Clint

Have you seen this device?
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com...ed_R eview%29
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gx...th2go/home.php

Don't know if it will help, or if it's geared more for gamers, but I thought
I'd post it out there.

Clint

Old February 13th 07, 08:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Nut Cracker

"Clint" wrote in message
I think your estimate is way off. I'd guess the majority of multi-screen
(vs. multiple display card) users have only one card in their system, since
most current cards have the ability to drive two displays. And if I DID
have a second display card in my system, I would probably buy a card from
the same manufacturer of my original card because of brand loyalty and a
desire to try to minimize driver hassles, like maintaining the current
version of the drivers and conflicts between cards/drivers.

Just my $0.02.

Clint

I havent run 2 discrete cards since the old matrox days with dual mystique
cards under NT4.0. Since then ... I have run Matrox G400, G450, and a
GeForce 4 Ti4200.

Current card is a dual dvi GF7900GTX.

All of my dual head systems have been single card, esp the soluitions I have
build for businesses and traders.