A failing laptop/notebook HDD or just a corrupted Vista/data?

Old January 20th 11, 04:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Ant[_3_]

Default A failing laptop/notebook HDD or just a corrupted Vista/data?

Hello.

I am trying to figure out and fix a client's old Sony Vaio
laptop/notebook with 1 GB of RAM and 32-bit Vista Business. Basically,
it doesn't load up its desktop fully. I do see a graphical splash screen
loader and then a black desktop with a movable white mouse cursor, but
that's it. This happen in both safe mode and normal boot up.

I was able to use the laptop/notebook and access its HDD with no
problems with both KNOPPIX v6.4.3 liveCD, an updated Norton Bootable
Recovery v3 Flash USB drive (no malwares found), and a Windows PE CD. In
Windows PE CD, I ran chkdsk /f and /r on it, and it found problems like
lost clusters and bad sectors:

Chkdsk #1 with no and with /f parameters separaretly:
http://pastie.org/1481138
Chkdsk #2 with its /r parameter that took a few hours overnight:
http://pastie.org/1481142
Chkdsk #3 with no parameters: http://pastie.org/1481145

I also ran smartctl v5.40 in Windows 7 PE and got the detailed results:
http://pastie.org/1481161

I did NOT run its long test yet