Cannot Print to XP Printer from Vista but I can share files

Old February 17th 07, 01:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
8178

Default Cannot Print to XP Printer from Vista but I can share files

Dang finally got it working using UNIX print services! Bill will not be
happy about that. This site had the solution
http://17slon.com/blogs/gabr/2007/02...esn-print.html

--
8178
8178's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22199

http://forums.techarena.in

Old March 2nd 07, 01:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
suphomedogg9

I was having the same exact problem. I had my printed hooked up to my
XP machine and it wouldn't print off my Vista. So I went on to my
printers manufacturers website (Dell in my case) and downloaded the
printed Firmware and Driver updates for Vista PC's. I then loaded the
Vista driver updates onto my XP and installed them. After they were
done installing, I tried to print from my Vista machine again and it
worked! So I think if you just install Vista drivers on your XP
machine, you won't have a problem.

--
suphomedogg9
suphomedogg9's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22744

Old March 2nd 07, 04:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
8178

Many of the printer manufacturers like HP are not providing separate
Vista drivers for all of their printers because they are built into
Vista. Therefore the only way to make these printers work is to use
the solution I used that is described above.

Old May 3rd 07, 03:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
KaseyCasem

If you plug the printr USB cable directly into the vista PC , it cant print
also.My printer is Dell all-in-one 924.
I can share files n internet connection.
Old August 19th 07, 10:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Kiwi John

"Bruce Sanderson" wrote:

I'm curious about your problem and have some questions:

1. is the XP computer XP Home or XP Professional?
2. on the XP computer, do you have a user account that has a password
defined? If not, add one on the XP computer and add the same user account
with the same password on the Vista computer. Logon on the Vista computer
with this new account - does this make any difference to the printer issue
or to the "can not browse (in Explorer) the XP Computer network...)?
3. please try the "adding a port" workaround again from the Vista computer
preferably while logged on using the account created per my question 2 -
please describe exactly when you get the problem and what exactly the
symptom is. To add the Port, you may have to start the Add Printer process
by:

a. open the Printers window (e.g. Start, Printers)
b. click File, Run as Administrator, Add Printer

or

a. open the Printers window
b. click File, Run as Administrator, Server Properties
c. select the Ports tab
d. click Add Port...

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

"Rob" wrote in message
Check this out!!!
I plugged the printer in question (Brother MFC-3420) directly into the
Vista
Machine and the device and drivers installed instantly and automatically.
could immediately print to it directly. So it is not a Printer driver
issue.
I then shared the printer (from the Vista machine) back to the XP machine
and immediately could see and it and print to it from the XP machine. I
put
everything back the way it was originally and nothing improved. I also
tried
Bruce Sanderson's workaround with the "adding a port" per the Shaw
website...nada. I guess it is a networking permission bug. I would hate
have to do this everytime I need to print from the laptop. I am
considering
buying several bluetooth USB's and creating a network between all of my
devices. Ebay for $5.99 each. Thoughts?

Rob

"Hugh Wyn Griffith" wrote:

OK

I'm not knowledgeable about networking printing and its problems but
there is a lot posted here about them.

AMOI What happens if you plug the printr directly into the laptop --
can you print then?

Personally, especially on a laptop where so many special drivers and
utilities are used, I would not move to VISTA for as long as possible
so if you can get the equivalent machine with XP I'd go for it.

Old August 19th 07, 10:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Kiwi John[_2_]

Hi,

Have had a similar problem, and found that Norton Internet Security was
causing an issue. Once I added the components of my home network as trusted
items I was able to add a printer to my Vista laptop that is connected to an
XP PC. Did this the normal way and added as a network printer.

But I still have a problem. I can print a test page no worries. However when
I try and print from Word 2003, Word cannot find the printer even though it
is set as default. On the other hand Excel 2003 will find it and print fine!!

Anyone have any thoughts?

Old October 4th 07, 04:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
flaxem

hello people

what if we try ti install a vista compadible NIC or W/less receiver to
the printers?that will make it easier.since the only thing we will have
to do is add the printers IP address to the network...

wouldn't it work?

--
flaxem
flaxem's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=32288

Old May 14th 08, 03:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Andente

I'm having he same problem. Canon MP360 printer and Vista. I am unable to
print pictures from my pc to the printer. Canon told me to download an Add-on
but that hasn't helped.

"8178" wrote:

The local printer solution on Vista to print on a Windows 2000 server
worked for me too with the exception that graphics now print in low res
dithered format. All text printing is fine. All my other XP computers
print fine through the Windows 2000 server. I tried using a Windows XP
machine as a print server and had the same graphics print problem.

I’m using a HP 960C printer and if I connect it directly to the Vista
computer the graphics are perfect.

I talked to Microsoft Vista support and they do not have a solution
other that using a Vista machine as the print server.
Any ideas?

Old January 27th 09, 03:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
srobitai

I received the same error message 0x800f0214. Very little good answers
online so I tried the 64x driver instead... even though my comp is 32bit
and it worked... hope that helps someone out there.

--
srobitai