ALL USB Devices need drivers???

Old February 9th 07, 03:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Digitalfuzz

Default ALL USB Devices need drivers???

Okay, after a SMOOTH install of Vista H.P. Ed, EVERY USB device I plug in
gets a "Windows Need to install Drivers For your device". Flash drive,
printer, MP3 (Zen), Wireless Mouse, Etc. These devices are supposed to have
"native support" drivers built into Vista. Anyone have a suggestion as to
why Vista isnt loading drivers for ANY USB devices?
Old February 9th 07, 05:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jacky kwok

Digitalfuzz wrote:
Okay, after a SMOOTH install of Vista H.P. Ed, EVERY USB device I plug in
gets a "Windows Need to install Drivers For your device". Flash drive,
printer, MP3 (Zen), Wireless Mouse, Etc. These devices are supposed to have
"native support" drivers built into Vista. Anyone have a suggestion as to
why Vista isnt loading drivers for ANY USB devices?

It is dependent on what is your USB device.

Some standard devices, e.g. USB storage device (USB flash memory, USB
external Harddisk, etc), standard USB mouse, will have buildin driver in
Vista.

Some device can work basically with buildin driver but work more well
with specified design driver, e.g. my Microsoft wireless laser mouse 6000.

Some device, e.g. some USB printers, cannot work without specified driver.

--
Jacky Kwok
jacky@alumni_DOT_cuhk_DOT_edu_DOT_hk
Old February 9th 07, 11:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pvdg42

"Digitalfuzz" wrote in message
Okay, after a SMOOTH install of Vista H.P. Ed, EVERY USB device I plug in
gets a "Windows Need to install Drivers For your device". Flash drive,
printer, MP3 (Zen), Wireless Mouse, Etc. These devices are supposed to
have
"native support" drivers built into Vista. Anyone have a suggestion as to
why Vista isnt loading drivers for ANY USB devices?

Does this happen every time you plug in a given device, or every time?
I ask because if the devices were not attached during the install, Vista had
no way to anticipate the devices an install drivers. This happens to me in
Win XP as well as in Vista when students bring projects to my office on
flash drives. Each new drive goes through a detection and "loading drivers"
scenario.

Old February 9th 07, 11:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
MICHAEL

"Digitalfuzz" wrote in message
Okay, after a SMOOTH install of Vista H.P. Ed, EVERY USB device I plug in
gets a "Windows Need to install Drivers For your device". Flash drive,
printer, MP3 (Zen), Wireless Mouse, Etc. These devices are supposed to have
"native support" drivers built into Vista. Anyone have a suggestion as to
why Vista isnt loading drivers for ANY USB devices?

Have you installed this update? It might help.

1/29/2007
This is a reliability update. Install this update to resolve reliability issues with some USB
hardware devices and controllers.

-Michael

Old February 9th 07, 01:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Digitalfuzz

I understand. These are devices that both MS and their respective
manufacturers (HP, for example) claim Vista will support natively, so they
have no DLable Vista Drivers. But Vista wants them...for everything
except...and this is only for the irony of it all...an iPod. Sigh. It is a
Toshiba Satalite Laptop. Should I get Tos. on the phone?

Thanks

Old February 9th 07, 01:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Digitalfuzz

It happens for everything USB, except Ipod (!), and an external HD (which
wasn't attached during install). THese devices (printer, flash drive, mouse,
etc) didn't need a disc or driver seperately installed in XP, they just
worked once they were plugged in, no questions. Why is Vista not following
the same way? Baffeled.

Thanks.

Old February 9th 07, 01:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Digitalfuzz

The Update didn't help. Thanks tho. I get the same: Device Driver needed;
cannot find driver (online or otherwise); Device did not install correctly;
SOL .

Interestingly, EVERY USB Device, while plugged in, shows up in Device
Manager, correctly named, under "Other Devices", with the little yellow !
flag.

I am willing to do another install of Vista (my 3rd at this point) with as
many of these USB deivices plugged in during the proccess, but that just
doesn't seem right to me. Any thoughts?

Thanks again

Old February 9th 07, 02:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
MICHAEL

I really don't know. Reliability in Vista's USB stack has been a
problem for many since I first started testing Vista back in June.
Although, my wireless mouse, my external hard drives, my mp3
player, my ReadyBoost drive, and my webcam all work.

If you have tried installing Vista with the devices unplugged,
perhaps, it is time to try the install with them plugged in. I've
done all my installs with my USB devices unplugged, except
for my mouse. Then, I plugged them in, let them install and all
was well.

Do you have the devices plugged into a hub? Two of my external
WD drives can act as hub, they have two extra USB slots... they
work just fine, too. If you are using a hub, try the devices without it.

I don't know if I remember this correctly, but when "unknown" or
that exclamation shows up, I believe you can still choose to
"uninstall" the device. If I am correct, do that and be sure to
to check "Delete the software for this device". Unplug the device
then plug it back in. Might not make any difference but who knows.

Let me know how things turn out.

Take care,

Michael

Old February 9th 07, 10:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Hugh Wyn Griffith

In article ,
Digitalfuzz wrote:
I am willing to do another install of Vista

Before you do that I suggest the following.

Certainly for some hardware, like HP Printers, it is essential to not
have the printer or its cable connected to the PC until either the
software installation tells you to do so or until after installation of
software is finished.

Then you can plug in the device and its cable and turn it on and let
Windows detect it. So check carefully the instructions that come with
the device and also check the manufacturer's web site for updated
versions, workarounds and advice.

I do support over on Compuserve and time and time again we see this
problem occur when people do what seems natural and set up the printer
and then install the software.

So try this:

(1) Turn off and unplug the printer (let's stick to that device)

(2) Go to the Printers part of Control panel and delete the icon for
the printer.

(3) Go to Add/Remove Programs (I think it's called Programs and
Features now) and Remove any programs related to the printer

(4) Go to Device Manager and Remove the entries for the Enhanced USB
controller(s) and any reference to the Printer if it is there (my
PS8250 dot prot shows there)

(5) Then reboot the PC and let VISTA detect the USB controllers again
(this may not be necessary so if you want you can skip it and only do
it if you have USB trouble afterwards)

(6) Then install the software for your printer and attach the printer
when told to or when the installation is finished.

I hope that helps. I have not done Step (4) in VISTA but I have done it
in XP and see no reason why it should not work, but I don't know what
VISTA protection allows you to do! There's always Run As Administrator!

If you care to tell me the exact make and model of the printer I may
have some more advice.

Good luck.

Old February 9th 07, 10:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Alberto Di Meglio

Hi,

Same problem here. I have to explicitly tell the "new hardware found"
wizard to look into c:\windows for the drivers. When I do this, the
built-in drivers for most USB devices are found and the devices are
installed. This happens even with simple USB memory cards. I suspect it's
some flaw in the default driver search path. Anybody knows how to
set/change it?

A.