Bluetooth under Vista

Old February 15th 07, 08:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Diamontina Cocktail

Default Bluetooth under Vista

"Donald McDaniel" wrote in message
"Diamontina Cocktail" wrote in message

"Donald McDaniel" wrote in message
"Diamontina Cocktail" wrote in message

"Donald McDaniel" wrote in message
"Diamontina Cocktail" wrote in message

"Donald McDaniel" wrote in message
"Diamontina Cocktail" wrote in message
Yep, Vista DOES - or at least is SUPPOSED to - support it. Vista
comes with a Bluetooth icon under control panel indicating it
supports it and when you install the software that comes with the
DBT-122, you get 2 of them in control panel.

"HDFatBoy2003" wrote in message
I don't think Vista natively supports Bluetooth networking. You'll
need to install additional Bluetooth stack for it. There is a
Widcomm Vista stack available, don't know if your dongle uses
Widcomm or another stack.

"Diamontina Cocktail" wrote in message
I use a D-Link DBT-122 and under XP all was well. Under Vista,
system properties says it exists but the Bluetooth icon in control
panel says it doesn't. I originally thought this was a D-Link
problem but today I got a message from a Dell owner with inbuilt
bluetooth saying that after the upgrade to Vista, he has the exact
same problem.

So, does anyone know how to get bluetooth dongles recognised by
Vista now, please? Thanks.

Actually, the Bluetooth Icon in Control Panel is only installed IF
your PC has built-in Bluetooth Radio. Otherwise, it never appears
UNTIL Bluetooth hardware and software is installed.

Obviously not right because my computer

1) Doesnt have inbuilt bluetooth, only a dongle.

2) The icon was there from the first moment I opened Control Panel.
Back then, 2 were there and I uninstalled the software from D-Link
and now only the Vista one is there.

I guess you have as "special" computer, then. All I can do is testify
to what I have experienced. There was no Bluetooth icon in the
Control Panel after I installed Vista.

Nope. I have a normal self built one. All I can do is testify to what
happens.

Actually, my friend, you can only testify to "what happens with YOU".
Any other "testimony" is commonly referred to as "rumour", and is not
admissible in a court of Law.

So it doesn't happen to you therefore it doesn't happen to anyone, right?

Please, Sir, or Madam. I may be bull-headed, but I'm certainly not a
fool.

I've been using Windows for many years, and have yet to see a Bluetooth
icon in Control Panel unless a Bluetooth receiver is installed.

So I was right. It didnt happen to you therefore you assume it doesnt happen
to anyone. Good for you.

Old February 15th 07, 08:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Diamontina Cocktail

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote in message
Hello,
The Bluetooth Icon only appears in Control Panel if Bluetooth Reciever are
detected on the machine:

Yes but that isnt specific enough information. As I have stated before, I
can find the bluetooth device in System Properties but the Bluetooth under
Control Panel says it isnt there.

From the help file which is pointing to the profiles supported:
What is Bluetooth wireless technology?

I know what bluetooth is. Under XP I had been using it for some time and had
been aware of what it is long before that.

Bluetooth technology uses radio transmissions to enable devices such as
computers, printers, mice, or mobile phones to communicate wirelessly over
a short distance. Some of the ways to use Bluetooth technology a

To transfer files between computers or between a computer and another
device

To print using a Bluetooth enabled wireless printer

To use a Bluetooth enabled wireless keyboard or mouse

To listen to music using Bluetooth enabled wireless headphones

To synchronize a Bluetooth enabled personal digital assistant (PDA) to a
computer or another device

To create a wireless connection to the Internet with a Bluetooth enabled
mobile phone or a modem server

To join a Bluetooth personal area network (PAN)

Thaks for that but ultimately it had nothing to do with my problem which, as
I said before, is that bluetooth unde control panel wont work as it says my
DBT-122 isnt connected yet at the same point in time the System Properties
says it IS connected.

Old February 15th 07, 08:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Diamontina Cocktail

So it appears no-one has an answer for this problem then.

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote in message
Hello,
The Bluetooth Icon only appears in Control Panel if Bluetooth Reciever are
detected on the machine:

From the help file which is pointing to the profiles supported:
What is Bluetooth wireless technology?

Bluetooth technology uses radio transmissions to enable devices such as
computers, printers, mice, or mobile phones to communicate wirelessly over
a short distance. Some of the ways to use Bluetooth technology a

To transfer files between computers or between a computer and another
device

To print using a Bluetooth enabled wireless printer

To use a Bluetooth enabled wireless keyboard or mouse

To listen to music using Bluetooth enabled wireless headphones

To synchronize a Bluetooth enabled personal digital assistant (PDA) to a
computer or another device

To create a wireless connection to the Internet with a Bluetooth enabled
mobile phone or a modem server

To join a Bluetooth personal area network (PAN)

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|From: "HDFatBoy2003"

|Subject: Bluetooth under Vista
|Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 05:54:25 -0800
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
|
|Bluetooth icon wasn't there for me until I plugged in a Dongle.
|
|But my point was that Vista only supports certain Bluetooth profiles and
|don't think Networking is on of the profiles supported without
installing
|another Vista capable stack.
|
|It's not until I install the Widcomm stack that the networking profiles
show
|up as Bluetooth services. Without the Widcomm stack the MS stack
doesn't
|recognize that my donle supports that profile, likewise A2DP is not
natively
|supported.

|"Diamontina Cocktail" wrote in message

| "Rock" wrote in message
| "Diamontina Cocktail" wrote
|
| "Donald McDaniel" wrote
|
| "Diamontina Cocktail" wrote
| Yep, Vista DOES - or at least is SUPPOSED to - support it. Vista
comes
| with a Bluetooth icon under control panel indicating it supports
it
| and when you install the software that comes with the DBT-122, you
get
| 2 of them in control panel.
|
| "HDFatBoy2003" wrote
|I don't think Vista natively supports Bluetooth networking.
You'll
|need to install additional Bluetooth stack for it. There is a
Widcomm
|Vista stack available, don't know if your dongle uses Widcomm or
|another stack.
|
| "Diamontina Cocktail" wrote
|I use a D-Link DBT-122 and under XP all was well. Under Vista,
system
|properties says it exists but the Bluetooth icon in control panel
|says it doesn't. I originally thought this was a D-Link problem
but
|today I got a message from a Dell owner with inbuilt bluetooth
saying
|that after the upgrade to Vista, he has the exact same problem.
|
| So, does anyone know how to get bluetooth dongles recognised by
| Vista now, please? Thanks.
|
| Actually, the Bluetooth Icon in Control Panel is only installed IF
your
| PC has built-in Bluetooth Radio. Otherwise, it never appears UNTIL
| Bluetooth hardware and software is installed.
|
| Obviously not right because my computer
|
| 1) Doesnt have inbuilt bluetooth, only a dongle.
|
| 2) The icon was there from the first moment I opened Control Panel.
Back
| then, 2 were there and I uninstalled the software from D-Link and
now
| only the Vista one is there.
|
| No Bluetooth in the control panel on this Vista Ultimate RTM
| installation. I don't think it's there by default. Now if a
Bluetooth
| device is present during install then maybe.
|
| --
| Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]
|
| Could be but I was thinking it may be there by default under business,
| which I have but your premise doesn't take into account why there
should
| be two there after upgrade and then when I uninstall all traces of
| Bluetooth from my computer AND have the dongle unplugged so nothing is
| connected and nothing installed, the Vista version of the Bluetooth
Icon

Old February 16th 07, 11:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
So the thread is confusing as to what the question is you are asking to as
well as to some of the comments made by various people as to what Bluetooth
supports in-box.
The points to take away is that the Bluetooth Icon only appears if the
Reciever is detected. If the icon shows, that means the reciever was found
and the Bluetooth stack was installed by the OS. That is only the reciever,
now you need a device to communicate with. The Bluetooth icon when run,
attempts to locate a Bluetooth Device, it will not show the reciever, it
only shows the devices that it can locate.
So the inference is the DBT-122 is the reciever, what is the Bluetooth
device that you are trying to detect and communicate with and does it
support one of the profiles listed in the prior mail.

The other confusing part is the software that was installed. What
Bluetooth software? If you installed another Bluetooth software stack, it
may supply it's own Control Panel icon, it which case you could have issues
with the mutliple Bluetooth stacks and\or drivers that are installed.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|From: "Diamontina Cocktail"

|Subject: Bluetooth under Vista
|Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 08:39:08 +1100
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices

.. .

Old February 18th 07, 06:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Diamontina Cocktail

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote in message
Hello,
So the thread is confusing as to what the question is you are asking to as
well as to some of the comments made by various people as to what
Bluetooth
supports in-box.
The points to take away is that the Bluetooth Icon only appears if the
Reciever is detected. If the icon shows, that means the reciever was
found
and the Bluetooth stack was installed by the OS. That is only the
reciever,
now you need a device to communicate with. The Bluetooth icon when run,
attempts to locate a Bluetooth Device, it will not show the reciever, it
only shows the devices that it can locate.

Sorry but it doesnt attempt to find the transceiver at all.

So the inference is the DBT-122 is the reciever, what is the Bluetooth

Actually, it is a transceiver because it sends AND receives, not just
receives. Yes, just being pedantic. Sorry.

device that you are trying to detect and communicate with and does it
support one of the profiles listed in the prior mail.

That doesnt matter at all as I have said before. The System Properties FINDS
the DBT-122 but the BLUEOOTH properties under control panel says it isnt
there. Before it can find any bluetooth device, it has to know that the
DBT-122 is there. According to the Bluettoh properties it isnt but according
to system properties it is. Therein, as I have said before, is the problem.
Bluetooth under control panel wont find it.

The other confusing part is the software that was installed. What
Bluetooth software? If you installed another Bluetooth software stack, it
may supply it's own Control Panel icon, it which case you could have
issues
with the mutliple Bluetooth stacks and\or drivers that are installed.

Yeah I originally did have the stack installed from the CD that came with it
under XP and all worked OK, updated to Vista and things didnt work,
uninstalled it and no change. System Propeties says it is there but the
Bluetooth properties says it isnt.

Old May 3rd 07, 05:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
carlosagu2007

to install the dbt-122 under vista u have to plug the device and let
windows reconize it.
follow the steps and at the end it will say driver not found or
somenthing like that!!!!.

then go to control panel\device manager and u will see the device that
is not working.
right click on it. select properties and then reinstall driver.

click on browse my computer for driver software after thet click on let
me pick driver from list. look for bluetooth radios and then windows
mobile-device support. click next then yes and it will work.

--
carlosagu2007
Old May 7th 07, 10:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Diamontina Cocktail

"carlosagu2007" wrote in message

to install the dbt-122 under vista u have to plug the device and let
windows reconize it.
follow the steps and at the end it will say driver not found or
somenthing like that!!!!.

then go to control panel\device manager and u will see the device that
is not working.
right click on it. select properties and then reinstall driver.

click on browse my computer for driver software after thet click on let
me pick driver from list. look for bluetooth radios and then windows
mobile-device support. click next then yes and it will work.

--
carlosagu2007

Sorry but wrong. The DBT-122 is not recognised by Vista. Besides, in System
properties, it is ALWAYS working, never needing reinstalling. No idea where
you got that from.