Vista Banter

-   Installation and Setup of Vista (http://www.vistabanter.com/installation-setup-vista/)
-   -   Windows Vista Install - No Operating System (http://www.vistabanter.com/21918-windows-vista-install-no-operating-system.html)

Carlos623 February 12th 07 03:51 AM

Windows Vista Install - No Operating System

Ok, after upgrading to Windows Vista from Windows Media Center Edition, it
worked fine. But after rebooting, it says that theres no Operating System
found on my computer. Whats wrong here?

Adam Albright February 12th 07 04:26 AM

Windows Vista Install - No Operating System

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 20:51:00 -0800, Carlos623
wrote:

Ok, after upgrading to Windows Vista from Windows Media Center Edition, it
worked fine. But after rebooting, it says that theres no Operating System
found on my computer. Whats wrong here?

If you have SATA hard drives enabled as RAID or as ACHI and you get
the no OS found message from BIOS try switching to IDE mode. That
issue constantly popped up on me in spite of my MB claiming it is
Vista ready and me installing brand new just released Vista "ready"
hard drive controller drivers. So for now I guess I'm stuck running in
IDE mode, which in all fairness isn't that big a deal.

Adam Albright February 12th 07 02:11 PM

Windows Vista Install - No Operating System

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:26:00 -0800, Carlos623
wrote:

Exactly how do I do that?

From BIOS. Reboot, soon as you see the inital screen do whatever you
need to enter BIOS. Typically pressing the delete key or another one.
It depends on your computer. Check your manual or MB manual if you
build your own.

BSchnur February 16th 07 05:45 AM

Windows Vista Install - No Operating System

Right -- most of the time that's how I set up the BIOS -- avoids a lot
of install foolishness.

I'm planning on building up a server this year -- came across a nice
Promise SATA RAID card -- eight SATA ports (no this won't go in a
Micro-ATX box), supports RAID 0, 1, 5, 6.

While, in theory one could use the drivers that come with the card to
do a boot install, I'll not do that. First drive will be IDE connected
to the motherboard. I'll do a 3 or 4 drive RAID 5 array for storage
(mostly forensics image stuff).

--
Barry Schnur