Vista hardware initialization problems

Old February 12th 07, 12:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dot

Default Vista hardware initialization problems

I am having spuratic problems with device drivers loading and hardware
initializing properly under Vista.

1 About 1 out of ever 4 times I boot the system, Vista does not detect
the audio hardware on my motherboard and load the device drivers for
it. If I reboot the system, it loads up and works fine though.

2 For months the DVD burner in my system was working fine, but in the
last few days it stopped working. Vista detects it and loaded the
device drivers, but it does not initialize the hardware properly. (I
always get error "code 37".) Note that the system does detect that the
DVD drive is there, and the driver does get the model number from the drive.

3 I sometimes have trouble with dual monitors in Vista. I have an
Nvidia 7800GS card with monitors connected to both "heads", and the
second monitor occationally comes up in the wrong resolution or does not
display anything. Rebooting the system always seems to resolve this.

I have verified that the hardware is working properly by running
hardware diagnostics from DOS. I also tried replacing the DVD drive
just to make sure, but I had the same problem with the new drive.

I have also tried looking for newer drivers, but in all cases I am
running the most recent version.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old February 12th 07, 09:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
MDBS

I've had the same issues. You just have to follow through all the steps
everytime it gives you the error messages. they eventually go away and
everything works fine. I have spent days upgrading & downloading just to
have it tell me everything is fine and then not work the next boot.

Have fun! They don't seem to know why any of this is happening either.
Hard to think they didn't come up with any of these issues over the Past 5+
years putting it together.

Hopefully, they'll get something right soon...