Slow Response from ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 with Dual Core Opteron

Old February 13th 07, 04:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Nut Cracker

Default Slow Response from ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 with Dual Core Opteron

All,

Here is my hardware config:

ASRock 939Dual-Sata2 mobo, bios 2.30
AMD Opteron 175, dual core 2.2Ghz w/1M per core
2GB of DDR400 (4x512), dual channel
XFX GeForce 7900GTX, 512M PCIe x16
Antec 430W PCIe PowerSupply
Gigabyte Triton Series Case
WD 160GB 8M SATA2 disk

In the bios, i have disabled the regular SATA controller, as there is
nothing attached to it. I have the SATA2 controller enabled, and configured
to run in SATA mode (rather than IDE).

Vista reports my disk performance rating at 4.9
Overall performance rating of 4.4 (because thats what my memory is rated
at). Everything else is in the 5's.

The system seems to boot ok. It was sluggish before I assigned a static IP
to the NIC, but its faster now.

Visually, its stunning. However, every time I click on something, the HDD
light goes on for like 15 seconds before anything happens on the system.
Then, the window (MMC, Computer Mangement, Event Log, etc) will appear to
respond.

As an example, I can right click on MyComputer and choose properties. It
might take a minute for that to show up. Then if I want to look at the event
viewer, that takes another 20 seconds to enumerate before I can see the
various logs. Then when I choose one, it might take another 20 to 30 seconds
before I can see the log entries.

There are no log entries that indicate there are any hardware problems. But,
this performace just aint' right!

Do I need to have the SATA controller running in IDE mode in the bios? The
Sata2 chip is based on the JMicron (JMB360) PCIe chip. in the device
manager, I only see a Standard SATA OCHI 1.0 controller (or something very
similar, not in front of the machine right now). Which, in and of itself
seems off .... but Im new to all this vista stuff.

can anyone offer some advice, or experience on running vista on this board?

Thanks in advance,

- NuTs

Old February 14th 07, 12:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pete

I am running the same mobo with a SATA drive on the Regular Controller and
an Pata drive on a EIDE channel.It is up to speed....so I suggest that you
use the Reg.Sata Controller...turn on RAID even if you do not use it.Install
the SATA Raid drivers and it should speed things up
peter

Old February 14th 07, 03:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
NuTCrAcKeR

"pete" wrote in message
I am running the same mobo with a SATA drive on the Regular Controller and
an Pata drive on a EIDE channel.It is up to speed....so I suggest that you
use the Reg.Sata Controller...turn on RAID even if you do not use
it.Install the SATA Raid drivers and it should speed things up
peter

I put the SATA2 controller into IDE mode, and re-installed vista. Ohhhhhh,
SO much snapier now!

Disk rating went from 4.9 to 5.3

I wonder what will happen when the JMB360 controller gets a proper vista
driver, and we can run our disks in TRUE SATA2 mode ....

drools