Vista & Dual Processors

Old February 19th 07, 05:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
KButzke

Default Vista & Dual Processors

Hello, I recently installed Vista and I found that since installing I have
only been running at half of my total processing power because Vista won't
use the second processor that is on my mother board.

Does anyone know a way that I can get Vista to recognize and use both
processors?

I am using Vista Home Basic and both of the processors are AMD K8
Processors. Each processor is 1.8GHz for a total of 3.6GHz

Old February 19th 07, 05:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

Upgrade to a version that supports two physical CPUs. Vista Home Basic and
Premium support one physical CPU (unlimited cores) just as XP Home did.
Vista Business, Ultimate, and Enterprise support two physical CPUs
(unlimited cores) just as XP Pro did.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Old February 19th 07, 11:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Will

My PC: HpM7750N Processor, Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
is 64 bit, bought last Tuesday and I assumed that the OS would be V.H.P. 64
bit
and was sorry to find that it was not. From what you are saying, I need 64
bit Ultimate to make proper use of the power of this new computer?

Old February 19th 07, 12:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Conor

In article , Will
says...
My PC: HpM7750N Processor, Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
is 64 bit, bought last Tuesday and I assumed that the OS would be V.H.P. 64
bit
and was sorry to find that it was not. From what you are saying, I need 64
bit Ultimate to make proper use of the power of this new computer?

No. Only for 64bit addressing. Unless you want to use more than 4GB of
RAM, you don't need 64 bit.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
Old February 19th 07, 01:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Will

I do want 64 bit & if what Kerry says is true, I need Ultimate to use the two
processors (Processor, Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+). Is this
correct? Do I go to the place I bought it and simply get Ultimate Dvd(s) that
will upgrade/install everything? will nVidia, Realtek High Def Audio etc., be
compatible?
Do I use or give them my "Upgrade your Windows Experience" DVD that came
with purchase? Lotsa questions, appreciate answers.

"Conor" wrote:

In article , Will
says...

Old February 19th 07, 02:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

"Will" wrote in message
I do want 64 bit & if what Kerry says is true, I need Ultimate to use the
two
processors (Processor, Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+). Is
this
correct? Do I go to the place I bought it and simply get Ultimate Dvd(s)
that
will upgrade/install everything? will nVidia, Realtek High Def Audio etc.,
be
compatible?
Do I use or give them my "Upgrade your Windows Experience" DVD that came
with purchase? Lotsa questions, appreciate answers.

You have one physical processor with two cores. Any 64 or 32 bit edition of
Vista will work and recognize both cores. You would have to contact the
manufacturer of your computer to see what their policy is on upgrading to 64
bit Vista. With the retail versions the 64 bit media is included with some
editions or available at a nominal cost from Microsoft. OEM versions are
supported by the manufacturer so you have to contact then to see what their
policy is.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Old February 19th 07, 02:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BSchnur

All Vista versions support dual core processors as dual core.

But only Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate support multiple
*physical* CPU's.

--
Barry Schnur
Old February 19th 07, 06:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Conor

In article , Will
says...
I do want 64 bit & if what Kerry says is true, I need Ultimate to use the two
processors (Processor, Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+).

BUT YOU DONT HAVE TWO PROCESSORS. You have one processor with two
cores. Not the same thing.

You don't want 64bit. It's a driver availability nightmare.

Is this
correct? Do I go to the place I bought it and simply get Ultimate Dvd(s) that
will upgrade/install everything? will nVidia, Realtek High Def Audio etc., be
compatible?

Do I use or give them my "Upgrade your Windows Experience" DVD that came
with purchase? Lotsa questions, appreciate answers.

Fire up Windows Anytime Upgrade and do it that way. You can purchase an
Ultimate Upgrade online. It downloads a small app which you run then
insert your Windows Vista installation DVD (Doesn't matter which one -
all versions are on it) and run setup whilst keeping the Anytime
upgrade downloaded app open.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
Old February 24th 07, 01:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dustin Harper

The X2 processors are supported by all versions. They are dual core, but
on a single package. If there are more than one PHYSICAL processor, then
you would need Ultimate.

And 64Bit does have some driver issues, but it isn't too bad depending
on your hardware. You can ask around and check the manufacturers
websites to see if it is supported yet. All of my hardware was, and it
runs like a dream.

--
Dustin Harper

http://www.vistarip.com

Bill Thomas wrote:
Conor wrote:
In article , Will
says...
I do want 64 bit & if what Kerry says is true, I need Ultimate to use
the two processors (Processor, Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor
5200+).

You don't want 64bit. It's a driver availability nightmare.

x64 is not necessarily a driver availability nightmare. I have my
system set up to dual boot x32 and x64, simply because I decided to play
with x64 to see how "bad" it really is. So far all of my hardware is
working, with the one exception of a cheap Promise ATA 133 card. My
Konica-Minolta printer works, epson scanner, HP external dvd writer, 3
external hard drives.....Not a nightmare at all..... Are you running
x64 or just repeating what you may have heard?

Old February 24th 07, 02:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bill Thomas

Conor wrote:
In article , Will
says...