Old June 8th 07, 05:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jimmy Brush

Default Access denied trying to copy file across home network

Well,

The good news is that I am aware of other people having this problem.

The bad news, is I am not aware of the cause of or solution to this problem.

Although I did hear that some people had success by disabling an
antivirus program that lives on the computer you are trying to copy from.

I would be interested in seeing the security settings that are being
applied to the folder you are attempting to save to, the folder the file
is comming from, and the source file itself.

First, access the file share on the other computer from explorer and
enter your password (if required) - this will establish a connection to
the other computer and allow the following commands to work.

Could you do the following:

- Click start
- Type: command prompt
- Click on command prompt when it appears
- cd to the folder that you are attempting to save the file to, and type:

icacls .

For example, if you are attempting to save to your desktop, type:

cd %userprofile%\desktop
icacls .

Then, type the following commands:

icacls \\computer\folder_containing_file
icacls \\computer\folder_containing_file\file

For example, if the file you are trying to copy is called info.dat,
lives on a computer named JIMMY, and is located directly inside a share
named FILES, you would type:

icacls \\JIMMY\FILES
icacls \\JIMMY\FILES\info.dat

Then copy the output of these 3 commands into a reply.

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User