Old June 10th 07, 04:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

Default Display Drivers

Thank you.
Good information.
Clears it up now for me.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"JW" wrote in message
A specific .inf file is not needed if the display provides the OS with its
information via EDID.

"freddy" wrote in message
All,

I'm going to add all these facts to my long list of things I know but don't
understand.
--
freddy

"Rob Norton" wrote:

Cal Bear '66 wrote:
NOT true, not at all true.
I have a Gateway widescreen LCD monitor. Gateway says that an inf file is
not
provided and is not necessary. Under Device Manager my monitor is
identified as
a Generic PnP Monitor, yet the nVidia graphics driver identifies my
monitor by
the correct brand and exact model and automatically sets the native
resolution
and refresh rate.

Here's what you need to do. In device manager select "update driver
software". Then "browse my computer for driver software". Then "Let me
pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". You'll see the
model shown as "Generic PnP Monitor". Now, uncheck the "show
compatible hardware" box and a full list of monitors will show
(including Gateway's). I know this is illogical, but it works!