Vista Security Center incorrectly reports Defender switched off and no anti-virus

Old March 2nd 07, 04:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Ian Nicholls

Default Vista Security Center incorrectly reports Defender switched off and no anti-virus

Well the subject header says it all! Vista Home Premium has been working ok for a couple of weeks when suddenly it reports that Defender is not switched on, and I have no anti-virus software loaded. Well, Defender is on and Avast! is definitely loaded and working. If I try to switch Defender on it searches for updates and still says it's switched off. I've re-installed Avast! and I'm still told it's not there!

Anyone else with these problems?

Ian
Old January 12th 08, 03:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Marion[_2_]

I am in exactly the same position but with AVG virus protection!

Anyone who can help, please?

--
Marion
Marion's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=39456

http://forums.techarena.in

Old December 8th 09, 02:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
oldskoolhead

i had this problem also on vista and i fixed it by running registryfix
then restarting it was also running the memory test then not starting
the program after numerous attempts to start it and after the reg fix
and restart it did this again but started on the second attempt and i
think these problems may be linked to a worm affecting an avast file in
win32 which i just got rid of (i hope! the current scan will determine
this on completion) with a boot time scan after which windows wasnt
recognising the antivirus so i un installed avast and downloaded it
again re installed it still had the problem so ran reg fix restarted and
reported my resolution here where i looked before for a solution but
didnt find one other than people saying on other similar threads
elsewhere just ignor it monitor it yourself....... i however would
rather not and dont think this is wise advise at all as there is
obviously a problem as it was ok before but the above mentioned are the
steps i took to resolve the issue though i only reinstalled avast as i
wasnt sure if the infected file i removed was what was causing the
problem if you havnt had the win32 worm you could just try running
registryfix and restarting contact me if you dont have a copy ;-)

--
oldskoolhead
oldskoolhead's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/161961.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old December 9th 09, 05:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Leonard Agoado

"FromTheRafters" erratic @nomail.afraid.org wrote in message

I wonder if the OP is still concerned about this after a full year has
passed?

I hope not, otherwise he/she might actually try to run that registry fix
crapware.

Old December 10th 09, 12:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Ǝиçεl

Default Vista Security Center incorrectly reports Defender switched of

oldskoolhead,

Please note that for future postings, you are encouraged to use rules of
grammar and puntuation.

What you wrote above - I would liken it to you walking into a room and
speaking as fast as you can without taking another breath. It would be
annoying in person as well. ;-)

.

Old December 13th 09, 06:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
sm_on_live

I too have same problem, but the reason was different. It all started after
a Windows update.

My environment is:
- Windows Vista 64-bit
- CA ISS 2009 anti-virus

CA customer service told me that this is known issue with recent Windows
updates and even McAfee and Norton users are experiencing it. They also told
me that Microsoft is working on it. After that, I think, there were 2
updates, which have not removed this issue.

I have not seen this issue with my other Windows XP machines, all are being
32-bit with CA ISS 2009. I don't have either Vista 32-bit or XP 64-bit.
Another of my netbook is with Windows 7 Starter (32-bit) and Norton (60 day
trial) is used on it.

I hope someone form Microsoft will give correct answer.

-- ThanQ...