Power Management Media Player Outlook problems

Old March 3rd 07, 08:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SWJG

Default Power Management Media Player Outlook problems

I've made my subject a keyword string to match my problem and to hopefully
help others with the same problems as me. Excuse group cross posting but
I've posted this where I have found others discussing power managment issues.

Executive Summary:
Power Managment features of Win Vista are not behaving as designed and
causing issues after hybrid sleep of the machine where a range of
applications hang or behave incorrectly after resume.

Machine:
Dell Precision 690 with 2 x 3.0GHz Xeon Dual Channel Processors (so 4 cores)
2 x NVidia Quadro fx 4500 offering 4 screens (3 actually used)
4Gb RAM
500Gb Raid of 2 x 250Gb drives on a "Dell" (Really LSi SAS 5/iR Controller)
Windows Business Edition - Fresh Install New Partition only OS on machine
On Domain
Mail by Exchange Server

Symptoms:
Windows Media Player if left running reports a corrupt database after sleep
and has to rebuild database - EVERY time - this is tedious in the extreme!
There are some 36,000 items in the mapped network drive it is monitoring. XP
SP2 and WMP11 had no problem with this scenario on a far less powerful
machine so I am discounting size of library.

Outlook 2007 (Cached Exchange Mode) reports corrupt OST file after sleep and
locks up or at least will only minimize and maximise but has no other
functionality. If reminders are displayed and canceled they report "cannot
write to OST file". On reboot OST file needs "Checking for corruption" and
from examining files it basically reloads in a new OST file off the server.

Other programs that save settings in CFG files or similar lose settings and
revert to "default" after a sleep. Even if the configuration was manually
saved prior to a sleep.

Creative XFi Music sound card with Creative beta drivers from Dec (latest
available) would revert to 2 speaker configuration after a sleep - the
correct configuration is 5.1

Post sleep - very little of the computer was actually functioning and a
reboot was needed to get everything working again.

Work all day in front of the computer and nary a problem. Walk away and let
it sleep and whether after 10 minutes or 10 hours working before sleep all
symptoms would be apparent on waking the computer again.

Hybrid Sleep apears to be an issue and it is not behaving correctly. From
TechNet and Vista Blog articles it seems that programs only get about a two
second warning of "we are going to sleep" and I can tell you that this is NO
WAY long enough for a program like Outlook to do its stuff and get ready for
sleep.

On first load Vista decided this workstation was a laptop (wonder if this
was the APC UPS on the workstation reporting the presence of a battery via
USB and the install deciding it had met a laptop?)

I reloaded Windows on top of the initial installation due to so many minor
issues and it started to behave a lot better around the edges with everything
a little sharper and faster. Aero actually became usable without the
computer slowing to a crawl (heck with this spec of machine it should be
stellar!). BUT the specific symptoms noted above remaned a problem.

Partial Resolution:

In BIOS I have set power management to S1 instead of a possible S3 so it
won't go so deeply to sleep if called to do so.

From the Command Prompt I have run powercfg and deleted ALL power profiles
EXCEPT "High Performance"

From the Command Prompt I have run powercfg -h OFF and disabled hibernation.

Implications:

This computer no longer goes to sleep. LOUSY for the new power managment's
stated aims of saving electricity and green house emissions - but in this
instance that is fine - I need to remote Web Workplace onto it any time and I
need it awake. I simply turn off the monitors when I walk away.

What now works:

Windows Media Player retains the library from one session to another.

Other programs retain their settings

Outlook is not perfect - still a crap shoot about the state of the OST file
(which is only a lean 0.6Gb in size - so this shouldn't be it)

Post Screen Saver - there still appears to be some hang ups in windows that
were left open - Screen Saver disabled. New NVidia drivers just posted to
try.

click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities... dware_devices