Old November 1st 06, 04:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Roof Fiddler

Default "del /s foo*" doesn't work

"Jimmy Brush" wrote in message
I tried this on my system and it worked fine. Can you give more information
as to what files you are trying to delete and what response you are getting
from the command prompt?

I open cmd.exe as administrator, and:

C:\Windows\system32mkdir foo
C:\Windows\system32mkdir foo\bar
C:\Windows\system32mkdir foo\bar\baz

C:\Windows\system32dir /s bar
[snip]
Directory of C:\Windows\system32\foo
11/01/2006 10:05 AM DIR bar
0 File(s) 0 bytes
[snip]
C:\Windows\system32dir /s baz
[snip]
Directory of C:\Windows\system32\foo\bar
11/01/2006 10:06 AM DIR baz
0 File(s) 0 bytes
[snip]

C:\Windows\system32del /s bar

C:\Windows\system32dir /s bar
[snip]
Directory of C:\Windows\system32\foo
11/01/2006 10:05 AM DIR bar
0 File(s) 0 bytes
[snip]
C:\Windows\system32
C:\Windows\system32dir /s baz
[snip]
Directory of C:\Windows\system32\foo\bar
11/01/2006 10:06 AM DIR baz
0 File(s) 0 bytes
[snip]

So, even though "del /s bar" returns no error message, neither bar nor its
contents (baz) are actually deleted.
Yes, I know how to actually get rid of bar and baz in this case. The problem
is that I might have many directories named "bar" scattered throughout
various other subdirectories of my current directory, and I need a single
command which, when run from my current directory, will delete all of them
and their contents.