Old July 19th 07, 12:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gary Tsang

Default Unable to Connect 2nd PC with MN 500 Router

Glad you found the issue!

--
Gary Tsang
http://www.gtsang.com

Microsoft MVP - Windows Media Center
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp

" ..." wrote in message
It was down to the wiring.
I originally had a very long network cable that was in two pieces
connected together with a network coupler.
I decided to shorten the cable since I didn't need it to be so long and
disconnected from the coupler.
The connection didn't work with one cable, however when I made the cable
longer with the coupler, network connection was up and running again. I
think the coupler made the wire cross cable(forgot types of network
cables) and now its works as a charm.

Thanks for your input tho.

"Gary Tsang" wrote in message
Are you sure you haven't gone out of your way to disable DHCP on
computers you are trying to connect to the other 3 ports?

If you plugged whatever is plugged into port 1 into another port, you'll
likely find that it still works. That would definitely indicate that it
is an issue on the computers you are trying to connect.

--
Gary Tsang
http://www.gtsang.com

Microsoft MVP - Windows Media Center
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp

" ..." wrote in message
I've been using MN-500 Microsoft Router with Windows XP Pro. When I
upgraded to Vista Ultimate, the settings stayed within the router since
I was able to connect to it using the #1 of 4 Ethernet Connection port
and login to it's main page: 192.168.2.1. However, after upgrading to
Vista, I am unable to connect other pc's using the other 3 connections.
There is nowhere within the router itself to disable any of the 4
ethernet connections, and I am wondering whether Vista doesn't permit me
to connect my laptop.

Are there any settings that need to apply in Vista so I can use the
remaining ethernet connections of my router?

My main PC is Vista Ult. connected via Cable Router: Ethernet
connection #1 PC.
My laptop is Windows XP Pro and I'm trying to connect it via ethernet
with any of remaining 3 ethernet connections on the MN-500.
Since I'm able to connect to the internet and I'm able to go into the
router's settings via 192.168.2.1, should I still install the MSBN
software? So far the only option that requires the software is to
upgrade the router's firmware, but I had already installed the latest
firmware for my router when I had XP Pro.

Thanks in advance.