Anyone?? - Catalyst 7.2 keep crashing Vista (ATI X1950PRO)

Old March 17th 07, 01:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Lilo Lentz

Default Anyone?? - Catalyst 7.2 keep crashing Vista (ATI X1950PRO)

Hi,
I just installed Catalyst 7.2 and it keep crashing Vista when it tries to
use the 3D feature.. like
1) Enabling Aero
2) Running perfomance test (for rating)

Each time I get the black screen and boot keeps recycling after that.

Questions about my cards 3D options:
1: Should I deactivate the 3D Catalyst A.I?
2: Would it help to Uncheck the support for DXT textureformats?

Also - my card has 2 outlets for power.. I only used 1.
Does that make a difference?

I only have 1 monitor - Samsung SyncMaster 940BF
ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe
2GB RAM
Vista Business

Thanks

Old March 17th 07, 01:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SSI

No problems with 7.2 here but I completely removed the previous version
before installing this one, even cleaned the registry because I have had
problems in the past .

Old March 17th 07, 01:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dale M. White

Ok, you know it might take more than 3 hours to get a response, so you don't
have to report your question again, if you don't get an answer right away.

The short answer is, The CAT 7.2 drivers should work. But I did encounter a
problem when I went to uninstall them under Vista 64 I got a BSOD. so wierd
things do happen.

Firs thing you should do is uninstall whatever you have, reboot and make
sure Windows loads it's default WDDDM driver back. Make sure you can run
your performance index from there. If all goes good, you can go here
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/v...s-vista32.html and
gran the 7.1 drivers and give them a try.

Catalyst AI shouldn't make any difference in terms of the system crashing,
same for DXT textures.

What brand of card do you have that has 2 power plugs ? My X1900XTX only has
one, and looking at the pics of other X1950Pros, I only see one power plug.
The X1950Pro has two monitor hook ups, which is why you see a Secondary card
listed.

If loading the drivers still causes a crash, my two guesses would be that
you having something corrupt with vista or you have a flaky card.

Old March 17th 07, 02:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bullet

I believe there is an issue with some X1950's with drivers 7.1 and 7.2. An
error occurs when the card tries to "up" its speed and voltages when you
enter a 3d app'. The temporary work around is to either 1) - use the Ati
drivers and disable the service "ATi External Event Utility" or 2) -
uninstall all Catalyst drivers and use the latest drivers through Windows
update. (Either way you will have no advanced graphic card options, and the
card will be stuck at 2d speeds.) There may be a fix for this in the next
Catalyst release.Ati are fully aware of this issue.

Old March 17th 07, 02:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dale M. White

The only card mentioned as not working with the CAT 7.1 and 7.2s is the
X1950GT, it is expected to be fixed in 7.3.

Caution: The ATI RadeonT X1950 GT is currently not supported under
the Windows Vista operating system. Software driver support will be
available starting with Catalyst 7.3.

Old March 17th 07, 03:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CMShepard

I can't help a lot, as I use nVidia video cards.

But, ATI says this card needs a lot of power. Do you have two of them in a
Crossfire?
I am sure that each will require a power connection.

The release notes for Catalyst 7.2---
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...ase_notes.html

And---
System Requirements
a.. PCI ExpressT based PC is required with one x16 lane graphics slot
available on the motherboard.
b.. Connection to the system power supply is required:
a.. 450-Watt power supply or greater, 30 Amps on 12 volt rail
recommended (assumes fully loaded system)
c.. For CrossFireT: 550 watt power supply or greater, 38 Amps on 12 volt
rail
d.. 512MB of system memory
e.. Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
f.. DVD playback requires DVD drive and decoder software (not included)
g.. Please see ati.com/crossfire for a list of recommended ATI CrossFireT
certified components
h.. To complete the CrossFireT platform, a second PCI Express® Radeon®
X1950 PRO graphics card, a CrossFireT Ready motherboard and two CrossFire
bridge interconnect cables are required
Maybe you have a conflict between Catalyst and some other program, like an
antivirus program.

Old March 17th 07, 03:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Lilo Lentz

Alright...
I did all the suggestions and still crashes during Windows Experience Index
updating.

1: First I removed all ATI drivers and software, rebooted.
2: Installed native VGA driver, rebooted. - Windows Experience Index
updating worked here!
3: Did a regclean and defrag.
4: Checked msconfig and disabled all none MS startup elements. But also
Windows Defender
5: Had Catalyst 7.1 downloaded and installed from that, since the CD
software is not working.
6: Rebooted.
7: Tried Windows Experience Index and crashed.

a: And still I can't shut down PC or restart without having to do Hard
Reboot. Not even before #1.
b: Don't have any AntiVirus program installed.
c: My Geforce FX 6200 had no trouble with Windows Experience Index.

To see the 2 power outlets, look he
http://www.sapphiretech.com/dk/produ...gpid=168&grp=3
At the top of the card you can barely see 2 white outlets.

No - don't have crossfire
Power supply is 480, so should be enough.

Old March 17th 07, 04:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dale M. White

Yeah, I just looked and found the AP card that does have the Dual power. I
would say in that case, you might have to get a splitterl cable, so that you
can have different power coming from 2 different. Guess that's where the ATI
cards are a little different then the nVidia card. If I don't have the card
plugged in, it screams on power up.

Looking at teh "what's in the box" it looks like you should have gotten a
splitter for it

Really surprising that it can't pull enough juice from one molex plug. Guess
the PCI-E slots must supply alot more power than I thought.

Is the program crashing or is windows crashing ? Seems odd that windows
would crash, makes sense if it's just the App that crashes.