Old September 9th 06, 02:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John Barnett MVP

Default Motherboard constantly beeps while running Vista Beta 2/RC-1

Vista has it's own memory testing software. Go to control
paneladministrative tools. In that admin tools window look for Memory
Diagnostics Tool in the list of items. Click on it and then click the
restart pc option. The diagnostic tool will then check the memory. For more
infor see my website: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Click the Vista Faq
tab and then click on 'checking system memory with the windows diagnostics
tool.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

The information in this mail is supplied "as is". No warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
reliability or content of this mail. The Author shall not be liable for any
direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use
of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this mail..

"Peter" ex-brit AT rogers DOT com wrote in message
Vista is quite intensive in its use of resources and I can only assume
something inside your machine can't cope. Could be simply loose
connection although I think that would have surfaced in XP.
Could be faulty memory...check it out...do a Google for memtest or
similar.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

"ChrisN" wrote in message
Thx for that, with the aid of that link you gave me I've managed to
narrow
the problem down to either the videocard or memory (which is what the
beeping
is telling me) I'll do some investigating, but while I do that why would
this
problem only surface in Vista and not XP?

"Peter" wrote:

Something in your setup isn't coping with either the load or the
temperature
generated by it.
See this chart:
http://acronymsonline.com/lists/beep_chart.asp

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
ATI Radeon 9550 Graphics
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4 Audio

"ChrisN" wrote in message
news Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but here
goes...I
have been running Vista Beta 2 with no problems until recently I
upgraded
my
motherboard (From a Gigabyte GA-K8U S754 to an Asus K8N nForce 3 250
S754)
so
everytime I run Vista Beta 2 the motherboard constantly "beeps" (a
constant
"beep beep beep etc"), the beeping starts at the boot loading screen
and
stops when I shutdown Vista, however, after downloading the latest
updates
for Beta 2 the problem stoped. BUT I have recently upgraded to Vista
RC-1
and
the beeping has returned!!

I would like to note my machine is currenty dual-booted with Vista
RC-1
and
XP Home Edition SP2 (and the problem is not present in XP) I've tried
looking
up what the beeping means in the m/b manual and the Asus homepage with
little
luck, I have also tried updating the m/b chipset drivers in Vista, but
Asus
supply no Vista support at all and Nvidia only have Vista drivers for
the
Network Controller and onboard Audio for the nForce 3 chipset, I
haven't
tried updating the BIOS yet (but I don't really want to if I can help
it
as I
don't like messing with my BIOS as it is working fine, minus this
problem)
was woundering if other people have this problem? or know of what I
can
try
todo next? or even a possible solution? thanks in advance for any
helpful
information.