Old September 10th 06, 05:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Pavel A.

Default USB hard drives can't be removed, BY DESIGN!

Ok now I get same result as you. if an exporer window is open on the flash
drive,
Vista can't stop it, and in XP this just works.

Can you please post the bug report number so we can vote?

--PA

"Pavel A." wrote:
Can't confirm this. I've copied some files from USB flash drive to RC1,
and it let me to remove the drive just fine.
But I haven't tried to write to the USB - will try tomorrow.
Is your disk a simple "USB stick" or hard drive with several partitions?

--PA

"Norman Diamond" wrote in message ...
I installed Vista RC1 in a notebook, connected a USB hard drive, copied a file from the USB hard drive to the internal hard
drive, and then clicked on the icon in the notification area (system tray) to ask for permission to disconnect the USB hard
drive. Permission denied.

Repeated it several times, asking for permission to safely remove the USB hard drive, being denied.

I submitted a bug report to Microsoft. Silly me.

Microsoft's reply: This is not a bug. This is by design.

In Windows 2000, Windows XP SP2, Windows 2003 SP1, and Windows XP x64 SP1 (and probably Windows 2003 x64 SP1 but I haven't
tried it), you connect a USB hard drive, use Windows Explorer to backup some files onto it and/or copy some backup files from
it to your internal drive, click on the icon in the notification area to ask for safe removal of the USB hard drive, and 75%
of the time Windows gives you permission. 22% of the time it refuses but you repeat the request and the second time it gives
permission. 3% of the time you have to shut down Windows.

In Vista, 100% of the time you have to shut down Windows. BY DESIGN.

I haven't quite decided yet whether to quit beta testing, but I sure won't be buying Vista.