Old September 20th 06, 04:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
glugglug

Default ATI Radeon 9600 All-In-Wonder supported in Vista's Media Center?

Tom Lake Wrote:
"Phillip Pi" wrote in message
Hello!

How can I get Windows Vista RC1 b5600 to work with this old video

card
with its own TV tuner? I did not see All-In-Wonder drivers on

ati.com.
Vista and its Media Center didn't detect my TV tuner either.

Short answer: You can't. The AIW series will never work with Media
Center.
ATI may put out drivers that allow you to watch and record TV but
Media
Center won't use them.

Tom Lake

My AIW 9700 Pro works with MCE 2005, including the TV tuner. What does
*NOT* work is most ATI driver versions. I am currently using Catalyst
version 5-8 from last year. Why am I not using 6-8? Because
experience has taught me never to upgrade ATI drivers because more
often than not their installers do not work, causing many headaches.
5-8 is the latest that I know works well. I tried 5-10, 5-11, 5-12,
5-13, 6-1, and 6-5 and they do not.

Even with 5-8, there were some hacks needed to get them to work.
Specifically, after installing the drivers, I had to go to the
E:\ATI\SUPPORT\5-8_xp-2k_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_25203\WDM_ALL directory and
edit the WDM_SP\WDM_SP.INI and WDM_NSP\WDM_NSP.INI files because they
forgot to include WIN_XP_MCE in the Req_OS list, and if IIRC it also
needed an Install_WINXPMCE section I found on the web somewhere.

It *DEFINATELY* has some kind of mpeg acceleration because
recompressing DVDs with DVDShrink is limited by the speed of my 16x
reader, and doesn't use much CPU.

Unfortunately I have not gotten it to work with Vista. The Beta 2 and
RC1 drivers don't even work right for using it like a normal video card
-- I had to use the Beta1 drivers to get over 1280x1024 and get any
decent display speed in Beta 2.

--
glugglug
glugglug's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=17770