Destination Folder Access Denied

Old March 22nd 07, 03:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Sumit Ghai

Default Destination Folder Access Denied

I want to rename one of the folders I created in Computer Local Disk (C,
but when I go to rename it and press enter, I get a message saying
"Destination Folder Access Denied...you need permission to perfom this
action". I'm the administrator on the computer, seeing how it is my laptop.
This doesn't happen for all the folders I have created though. Any way to
play around with the security settings so I can rename my own folder?
Old March 22nd 07, 04:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesper

Yes. You need modify permissions on the folder itself. See the directions I
just posted in the "Folder gives me no permissions???" thread. It is not
exactly like your problem, but you can modify those steps to do what you need.

Old March 22nd 07, 04:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Sumit Ghai

Unfortunately, that didn't work. I went through all the steps, and nothing.
I do have to point out that where you said to click on "Edit" the first time
around, there was not shield on the button. Could that mean something? I
have already disabled UAC.

Old March 22nd 07, 04:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesper

If you have already disabled UAC then you have (a) turned off much of the
security in the OS, and (b) would already have access if you are an admin.

Old March 22nd 07, 04:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Sumit Ghai

That's what I would think, too. How do I check to make sure I actually am
the admin on my own computer?

Old March 22nd 07, 05:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Sumit Ghai

Under "User Information", it has "sumit-hp\sumit"....shouldn't that be
adminstrator? Does this mean I'm not logged in as admin? How do I change
that? Sorry for asking these kinda stupid questions. On my old computer, I
never bothered with user accounts and things like that.

Old March 22nd 07, 08:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesper

Under "User Information", it has "sumit-hp\sumit"....shouldn't that be
adminstrator? Does this mean I'm not logged in as admin? How do I change
that? Sorry for asking these kinda stupid questions. On my old computer, I
never bothered with user accounts and things like that.

No, Administrator is the name of an account. You are an administrator, but
not _the_ Administrator. The Administrator (not capitalization, BTW), is
disabled.

---
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047... IN=0470101555

Old March 22nd 07, 11:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Sumit Ghai

That's strange then, because when I look at User Accounts under the Control
Panel, I'm listed as "Administrator". I'm just confused now.

Old March 23rd 07, 03:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesper

You are AN administrator. That is what the control panel is telling you. You
are not THE Administrator. There can be several administrators, but there is
an account called "Administrator," and a group called "Administrators".
Anyone who is a member of the Administrators group is an administrator. The
Administrator is a legacy account that still exists, but is no longer used.
In most cases, it is disabled by default on Vista.