Old November 9th 06, 08:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
PuzzledInSeattle

Default Problems with a Linksys wireless card on a desktop computer.

I have a HP Pavillion desktop which has done just fine with XP. My kids
access my home wireless network and the Internet using a Linksys wireless G
adapter. Before upgrading to Vista the compatability wizard warned that I
would need to update the driver through the Windows update process after the
upgrade. The upgrade went fine and all the hardware is working except the
adapter. I am able to browse to and ping local resources just fine, (those on
my side of mys Linksys/Cisco router) but I cannot access anything on the
Internet. I get a red-x icon on the link between my home network and the
Internet. If I click "view status" I get a message that says "There is more
than one active network connection on this computer. Unplug or disable one of
the active connections to try and solve the problem, etc." There is only one
wireless connection (although it is listed as "Wireless Network Connection 6
(networkname)", and the ethernet adapter is disabled. If I enable the
ethernet adapter I am able to access the Internet and my network just fine,
(I posted this form the computer). I have used Windows update to check for
updates, ("up to date") and have even performed an driver update on the
adapter with the same result.

A search of the Microsoft site returned a promising KB article
(Windows6.0-KB920698-v1-x86-EN-US) but when I try to run it it says that it
doesn't apply to my computer.