wab address book won't show up in fax

Old April 4th 07, 12:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Amanda

Default wab address book won't show up in fax

OK, WOW, I think I got it! When I actually opened the Outlook program, (duh)
I was able to follow your instructions. I also imported all my addresses into
it from Windows Mail, and voila! I am in business! Thank you very very much
for responding, I am a happy faxer now!!!
Amanda
--
Amanda B

"Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]" wrote:

With Outlook 2007 installed, your address book is set to Outlook's Contacts
folder. Add your addresses here. If Contacts doesn't show up as an address
book, go to the All Folder view, right click the Contacts folder, select
"Properties", and add a checkmark to the "Show this folder as an e-mail
address book" checkbox. If this checkbox is dimmed and uncheckable, you
need to add the Outlook Address Book service. To add this, if needed, go to
'Tools|Account settings', click the "Address Books" tab, click
'New|Additional Address Books|Next' and add the Outlook Address Book
service.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE --

"Amanda" wrote in message
Thanks for your response too!
OK, Windows Contacts is the default program for WAB.
And in choosing defaults for Windows Contacts, I just selected all.
Still no address book opens up in Fax & Scan.There is a drop down box in
Contacts in fax & Scan, but in the dropdown box it only says Outlook, and

it
tells me there are no addresses in Outlook. It does not show any other
address book to search in.
I do HAVE Outlook on my computer, it is Otlook 2007, but I can't see how

make an address book in that program.
Coincidentally, (or maybe not) DEP often closes fax & scan while I am

using
it.....
Any other thoughts?
--
Amanda B

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

Also, in the same place (Default Programs) open Set Associations and
scroll down to .wab and make sure Windows Contacts is the default,
if it is not use the Change program... button to change the default to
Windows Contacts

"Amanda" wrote in message
Thank you so much for responding.
OK, but where (how) do I set something as the default Contacts

manager?
I am
using Windows mail, so I have an address book in the windows contact
folder....how do I get fax & scan to find that?
--
Amanda B

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

Fax and Scan will use whatever you set as your default Contacts

Manager
for
your OS.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Amanda" wrote in message
I have two computers each running Vista Ultimate, but windows fax &
scan
works differently on each. On one computer, fax & scan opens up the
wab
(windows address book) and lets me choose a fax number in there, or
create
new contact. On the other computer, the address book will not come

up
at
all.
I checked to be sure my wab is there in the proper folder (it is in
the
same
floder as it is on the other computer) so what could be happening?

have
manually type in the phone number for each fax I send.
--
Amanda B

Old February 25th 08, 12:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
kookaburra2

In Vista Business, I have installed Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail, Outlook
2007. Each has its own contacts. In Windows Fax & Scan, only the Outloook
contacts show up. Is there a way to have WFS use (most preferred) Contacts
from Windows Mail or (less preferred) contacts from Windows Live Mail? How?

Thanks
--
K2

Old February 25th 08, 10:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Set Windows Mail as your default Contacts manager.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

&

Old February 25th 08, 01:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
kookaburra2

I have looked everywhere in my system & on the web, but can't see how.
Please, I need the steps to setting Windows Mail as my default Contacts
manager spelled out.
--
K2

Old February 25th 08, 01:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Control Panel Default programs
Give Windows Mail and Windows Contacts all their defaults. Give Outlook
none.

Old February 26th 08, 12:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
kookaburra2

Thanks for that, but it still doesn't work for me. Rebooting hasn't helped.
In WFS, the address book has just one item in the drop down box ("Contacts"),
the contents are only Outlook items:
Outlook Adress Book
Accounts
Business Contacts
Contacts

My defaults are set:

WINDOWS CONTACTS - checked (all)
----------------------------------
..contact
..group
..p7c
..vcf
LDAP

WINDOWS CONTACTS - not checked
none

WINDOWS MAIL - checked (all)
----------------------------------
..eml
MAILTO
E-mail link

WINDOWS MAIL - not checked
none

WINDOWS LIVE MAIL - checked
----------------------------------
none

WINDOWS LIVE MAIL - not checked (all)
..eml
..vcf
MAILTO
E-mail link

OUTLOOK 2007 - checked
----------------------------------
..hol
..ibc
..ics
..msg
..vcs
OUTLOOKFEED
OUTLOOKFEEDS
STSSYNC
WEBCAL
WEBCALS

OUTLOOK 207 - not checked
..vcf
MAILTO
E-Mail link

What should I do next?

Thanks.

--
K2

Old February 26th 08, 11:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
DS_NZ[_4_]

Weird.

As per my post in another (similar) recent thread I have the exact
opposite problem. The only options to show up in WFS are Windows
Contacts, Active Directory (don't know what it is & does not appear to
be active), and VeriSign ... . I want nothing to do with any of them.

I want to use Outlook (2007) Contacts, as I have all my Contacts data
from many years back stored there, but I cannot get it to show in WFS.

I have given OL2007 all its defaults under "Control Panel Default
programs" & confirmed that it is the default for all listed file types
for OL.

One thing I note though, is that *none of the OL extensions relate to
Contacts*. The only extensions shown for OL are .hol, .ibc, .ics, .msg,
.vcf, .vcs & six protocols.

As per Hal Hostetler's post below, I checked the OL2007 Contacts folder
Properties. The "Show this folder as an e-mail address book" checkbox
is *greyed out*, *but IS TICKED*, so I assume that is OK?

Also Outlook Address Book already shows up under the 'Tools|Account
settings|Address Books" tab & I cannot add it again.

Alas still no chop .

Under "Control Panel Default programs", Windows Contacts is default
for 3 extensions - .contact, .group, and .p7c. But as far as I can see,
OL cannot be made the default for these extensions ????

I am also assuming that OL cannot be made the default program for .wab?

Old February 26th 08, 12:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Well first of all there is no WAB in Vista, so I'm not sure why anyone is
trying to access one. What is _supposed_ to happen, and what has worked for
both Hal and me, is that WFS will use whatever is set as the default Contact
manager at the OS level. For most people that would be either Windows
Contacts or Outlook. I would not expect WFS to use Windows Live Mail or
Windows Live Hotmail Contacts.

The next thing I'd do in your case is verify that the Outlook Address Book
Service is actually working in Outlook and displaying the correct Contacts
Folder. Is your Outlook installation set to prompt for a profile?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news

Old February 26th 08, 12:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
DS_NZ[_5_]

Hmm. I was not looking to use .wab, but thought it may be causing
problems. On my system (Vista Bus x64), .wab does show up under
"Control Panel\Default Programs\Set Associations" with Windows Contacts
nominated as the default program.

I'm still not certain about setting the "default Contact manager at the
OS level", since in "Control Panel\Default Programs\Set Default
Programs" there is nothing about Contacts or Contact Manager listed for
Outlook. I would include a screenshot but do not have a web site & it
seems the only way is to link to an image on a web site.

I do not understand the "Is your Outlook installation set to prompt for
a profile?". AFAIK it doesn't prompt me for anything. It just opens up
in Inbox under Personal Folders.

One possibly complicating factor in my case is that I have OL linked to
3 .pst files (2 listed as "Personal Folders", both of which have contact
folders - & 2 calendars etc). One is my old XP Outlook personal folder
(~ 1GB in size, so I want to keep it separate), but that appears to
cause no problems at all in normal Outlook use.

;626120']Well first of all there is no WAB in Vista, so I'm not sure why

kookaburra2;624621 Wrote:

--
DS_NZ

--