Old September 16th 07, 05:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Charlie42[_2_]

Default Windows Defender?

"djkrus" wrote in message

My Acer with Windows Home Premium came with Windows Defender. I loaded a
90
free trial of Norton Protection Center at the suggestion of the Geek
Squad.
The free part is ending soon. I have not had any problems. Do I really
need
any protection other than Defender?

Yes, you do. Windows Defender is an anti spyware program, it doesn't protect
you against viruses, trojans or other malware.

The least you need in addition to Defender is a firewall (you can use the
one included in Windows Vista), and some kind of anti virus program. Of
course you also need to keep your operating system updated. If you don't
feel you need the Norton suite, there are several cheaper - or even free -
alternatives to be found.

Here's a site with Microsoft's recommendations for home computer security:
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/default.mspx

Charlie42