Old September 29th 07, 02:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Maurice N ~ MVP

Default Anti Virus Protection?

The shop may have confused MS Windows Defender (which comes standard with Vista) as being an anti-virus. It's not.
IF & only if the shop added MS OneCare (which it does not appear so), then antivirus is in there.

If money is an issue (and it truly is self-defeating to scrimp money for AV), a strong recommendation is Avira AntiVir PE Classic (only for personal use) at http://www.free-av.com/ as a free AV
May I personnaly suggest you NOT get AVG antivirus (the free edition). Other AV products are much better.

You also truly need an anti-malware (though some products are now including both anti-malware & AV into 1 suite).
My personal favorite is CounterSpy from Sunbelt Software. The AVG Anti-Spyware is also good.

iirc, companies like Panda & TrendMicro are offering packages that include AV & anti-malware.
--
Maurice N
MS-MVP (Windows Client) , Aumha.net VSOP , DTS-L

"William F. Welner" wrote in message ...
Does one have to purchase a separate anti Virus program for Windows Vista?

The Computer Shop that sold me my new PC told me that Virus protection is
provided as part of Windows Vista.

Immediately turned the PC on I received a message recommending that I
purchase an anti Virus program.

I am confused. Please provided me advice on the Anti Virus issue.

Bill Welner