Problems Using DVD+RW Disks

Old April 14th 07, 04:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dick Snow

Default Problems Using DVD+RW Disks

I have a new Gateway FX530XM with 2 gig RAM, most of the bell & whisltes, and
2 DVD burners. I am having slow burn problems with RW disks ONLY. DVD-R
disks work just fine. In other words, packet writing is not working
properly. It takes forever to write 1.5gig of data to a RW disk. I've been
working the problem with Gateway, who had me change out both drives. I had
tried two different brands of media before contacting them, then at their
advice, I purchased yet another brand, only to have the same problem. I
originally wondered about drive firmware. When I installed the replacement
drives, one was an LG drive, like the originals, and the other, I believe is
a Lite-On drive. After installing the drives, I again used Windows Explorer
to write the files to the LG drive and had a data rate of 256kbps, so it
worked exactly like the original drive. However, the first attempt at using
the Lite-On, the data rate indicated 1.54mbps. My first thought was "viola
it is the drive". However, the next time I tried to write files, that drive
also dropped to 256kbps, so I'm still having slow burns. As I stated, with
using Roxio to write files to DVD-R disks, they work fine. I should also
note, when I installed Easy Media Creator 9, I uninstalled the Drag To Disk
software. I also did a factory restore to see if the RW disks worked without
the Roxio installed at all, but still had the same issues. I can't help but
believe it is a combination of firmware and Vista. Please don't respond that
packet writing software doesn't work, I've been using Roxio for years to do
data backups and never a problem on my old computers. Since I'm not having
any luck with Gateway support, I'm hoping someone here can give me some ideas.
Old April 14th 07, 06:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BigJim

the one thing I do when I have a problem is not work with the manufacture. I
send the system back or take it back to the store. Their problems are not
going to become mine.
Your problem may be caused by the media you are using and btw RW always do
burn slower that -r's.
Since you have chosen to work with Gateway tell them you want to try
different media at their expense and see what happens.

Old April 26th 07, 12:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dick Snow

Turns out, after working with Gateway, then Microsoft, this is a Vista known
issue. I have since found out all other Vista computers have the same issue.
According to MS, they are working on a fix (along with the rest of the Vista
bugs).