Old October 21st 07, 05:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mark

Default Problem Laser 8000 Bluetooth Mouse

No-no-no you miss the fail-point.
Bluetooth is a dead easy hack.
astalavista man! dl your today! 2k!
install and intrude!

Good homework on drivers by the way.
After I got the mouse fixed suddenly the driver dl from microsoft found no
driver on my system.
i.e., The one that flunked my mouse was corrupted.
I was not implying that the driver corrupted itself.
I have two neighbours garbaging wireless devices with their own hardware.
One jokes and smirks behind the curtain, the other boasts about her exploits.
Sheesh. I simply stated that the Microsoft update screwed my system. Which
it did.
Because drivers cannot undo hacker damage or even detect some damage.
Damn. It would cost a fortune just to find what part of my system is
breached, was breached, is open to breaching again.
Read my other post to you carefully.
HOME WIRELESS FIREWALL is the ONLY SOLUTION. (PERIOD)

Mark

"Computer & Sound System Tech" wrote:

unless someone can explain this to me as to why it is possible, i fail to
believe or think a driver could act as a virus by infecting a device in this
manner. it is completly going against what a driver is, the encyclopidia
tells us the definition of a driver:

A device driver simplifies programming by acting as a translator between a
device and the applications or operating systems that use it. The
higher-level code can be written independently of whatever specific hardware
device it may control. Every version of a device, such as a printer,
requires its own specialized commands. In contrast, most applications access
devices (such as sending a file to a printer) by using high-level, generic
commands, such as PRINTLN. The driver accepts these generic statements and
converts them into the low-level commands required by the device.

so my guess is that the problem occured at the same time of the update but i
don't think the driver is at falt, especially if you uninstalled it or
rolled back and no changes were seen, but since i've never seen this before
i could be wrong.

--
Licensed Boating Capt. Jonathan Perreault
http://www.AllAboutGames.BraveHost.com

Best Comments From Users:
Vista is satan's way to bring hell to earth. -Me

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Web

No Matter The Problem Even With Linux, It's Microsoft's And Windows's
Faults -Everyone
"mark" wrote in message
All three of you read this carefully.
The original battery is ancient history and three new NIMH batteries have
dome their best to make the mouse work again.
Something in a Vista update slipped malicious code into the mouse through
it's bluetooth port. This is 'extremely' a well understood exploit - 15
minute blurb on it on the news last week. The mouse is messed up pretty
bad.
No more battery talk.
Does any tech have any idea how to do a really effective (and safe)
low-level hardware reset of Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000?

Sensible answers.
Mark

Peter wrote: [boyscout battery basics]
Computer & So... wrote: [repeat of Peter's good will]
samoila_mirc... wrote: [repeat of peter's good will]

"mark" wrote:

Subject: Problem Laser 8000 Bluetooth Mouse

Message: When the mouse is put on the charge pad its green light pulses 8
times slowly. Then a red light flashes continuously and rapidly. The
mouse's NIMH battery does not charge except for a few minutes of use.
Even
when the mouse is left on the pad overnight. This problem started early
in
August when a Vista update included a prompt to update the mouse driver
software with a download from Microsoft. The Microsoft download was run
and stopped itself with a note that the driver was not compatible. Thatt
is when the mouse stopped charging properly.

Then late August another Vista prompt to download the updated driver for
the mouse, and this time the driver installed. However, the mouse
continues to fail to charge except for less than a minute when it is
first
placed on the charge pad.

The mouse battery charge anly lasts a very short while. If I take a half
hour to reseat the mouse on the pad every time the rapid red blinking
occurs, I can slowly build up the charge. The slow green pulsing lasts
about 30 seconds, so in half an hour the mouse is reseated on the charger
pad 60 times.

Microsoft can direct me to a safe driver update, please. That would be
greatly appreciated. It would be really appropriate if Microsoft would
correct the error in its driver update for the Laser 8000 mouse (date of
manufature, 2007).

Mark Stewart, August, September, October 2007