AMD X2 Dual Core and Vista Ultimate Problems

Old April 29th 07, 10:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mowgs69

Default AMD X2 Dual Core and Vista Ultimate Problems

hi all,i have just updated my processor in vista ultimate 64 from amd 64
3200 to the amd x2 dual core 64 4200 and when i booted up for the first
time vista says searching for new drivers to install for my new hardware
then comes up failed for unknown device.!!!! tried searching on amd
website and on windows update but no driver for processor . I run a dual
boot with xp64 and vista64 when i booted ino xp it said installing new
device then came up ok device installed . When i go to device manager in
vista the new processor has no driver 4 it do i need to worry or just
keep using ? seems to run ok in vista but i cant figure out why vista
didnt recognize this processor and xp does ..

--
mowgs69
Old April 29th 07, 10:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Hi,

What chipset is the motherboard using? I've seen a number of reports of this
issue with nvidia chipsets and that processor.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Old April 29th 07, 10:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mowgs69

im using nvidia nforce 4 motherboard is dfi infinity nf4 sli

--
mowgs69
Old April 30th 07, 07:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
aarbie

Did you upgrade the bios on the motherboard before to ensure that the CPU
would be recognised. I have the X2 4200 on an ASUS board and no isues
whatsoever

Old April 30th 07, 09:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mowgs69

no i did not update bios on motherboard. would this help? i thought that
if you update bios on motherboard could cause problems especially if u
download a bios update over internet.

--
mowgs69
Old April 30th 07, 09:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
aarbie

If your currnet bios revision does not recognise your CPU, there chances are
that it will appear as unknown both in the bios and in Vista.
Secondly, there could well be performance implications. I'd go to your
motherboard's website and look at CPU/BIOS compatibility tables and see if
your current version supports your new CPU.
There are a number of ways to flash a bios these days- over the internet is
one of them.

Old April 30th 07, 09:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Hi,

Just read the instructions carefully one how to update the BIOS for the
motherboard. Asus' procedure allows for creating a backup of the original in
case of failure, so it is a relatively safe procedure if you follow the
steps given. You may also want to check for a chipset update to see if it
helps.

Old May 2nd 07, 11:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mowgs69

flashed the bios but vista still says its unkmown device? hmmm thought
amd and microsoft worked together on vista well least they could of made
their own drivers 4 vista or is this to much 2 ask of amd

--
mowgs69
Old May 3rd 07, 10:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Hi,

The problem isn't AMD, it's the nvidia chipset on the motherboard. Support
for the X2 line is lacking.

Old May 5th 07, 02:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jason Knutson

The chipset supports the X2 line just fine. I've built several systems on
boards with the nforce4 chipset and X2 processors and never run into any
problems. The DFI board the original poster has, has supported the X2 line
from its release date.

Does the BIOS list the processor correctly?

Have you tried updating the drivers for the unknown device to see if Windows
finds them?

On the Control Panel System screen does it show a processor name along
with the other system information?

Jason