Old November 16th 07, 05:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

Default Type Of Graphics Card to Purchase

According to this site (Australia) the NEC L 1040 has one 16x PCIe slot (video)
and one 1x PCIe slot:

http://www.nec-computers.com.au/Prod...8&SeriesID=151

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Ben Ramsay" wrote in message
I am wondering what type of graphics card to purchase for my system. I have a
NEC L1040 with windows Vista Home Basic.

Also What the heck is PCIe, I have never heard of this type of port on a
system, i know about agp and PCI but not PCIe.

I am submitting that I have tried to insert a Savage 4 & a winfast a18 DDR
card into the slot but the don't fit so i am assuming that AGP is not the form
factor for this system the slot layout is one short and one long. Could it be
PCI, if this is the case then NEC has taken a step bacward instead of forward.
I have not tried a PCI yet and I can't try a PCIe card because of the above.

Because I have been getting the royal runaround from NEC and Gigabyte I can't
provide exact specs but the slot is in the correct place for an AGP and looks
like -

* * *

This is a rough diagram, to me it looks like a pci card but as i have said it
is in the position of the AGP slot.

Any ideas as I am confused