Old December 4th 07, 04:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Aaron B[_2_]

Default Vista does not recognise USB mouse

"Destin_FL" wrote in message
Something I have found true almost every time in Vista that I don't
remember having to do in XP.... I don't say it as a bad thing, just a
lesson I have learned over the past couple of weeks with Vista.

Go to Device Manager and 'scan for hardware changes' - XP was nearly
flawless about rebooting, and there magically was your new hardware
device, but Vista will not do that. You have to force Vista to scan the
system for the new hardware, i.e. changes.

I installed a new/separate/additional hard drive (internal, in a bay next
to the main drive) and tried 47 ways from Sunday to get the drive to show
up. Not in device manager, not in disc management, nowhere... reboot
reboot, blah blah blah.... finally went into device manager and did Scan
For Changes and the drive showed up immediately. Kind of a DUH moment for
me.

I had to do the same thing to get a PCI card of USB ports to show up. I
suspect your mouse may be the same deal.

Tim

But I am unable to do anything with the USB mouse plug in. Becuase this
Vista
does not recognize this mouse. Without a mouse, I am unable to open device
drivers.