Old December 7th 07, 07:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
JC

Default 4GB or 3GB physical memory for 32 bit wondows vista

Thanks. But this doesn't seem to answer my question.

I want to know if I should have 3BG or 4GB installed and whether the
additional 1Gb will help with the performance given that vista only show
3.3GB when I have 4GB installed.

I have two 1GB DD2 dual channel installed. I think that I have a choice of
two 1GB or two 512MB extra installed.

"Tom Lake" wrote:

"JC" wrote in message
I have 4GB of physical RAM, windows vista shows only 3326MB. Does it really
help with performance if I have 4GB or should I just install 3GB memory? I
just bought the additional 2GB memory (had 2GB before) and wondering if I
should exchange for a 1GB one. Thanks.

If your motherboard is dual-channel capable, install memory in pairs.
3 GB is OK if you install 1 GB, 1 GB, 512 MB, 512 MB

If you don't install in pairs, you won't get the benefit of Dual-channel.

Tom Lake