Old December 7th 07, 08:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
AJR

Default 4GB or 3GB physical memory for 32 bit wondows vista

This is one of those topics that keeps popping up and can be answered by
"reviewing" previous posts.

Article #929605, Support.com, addresses all your questions including a "Work
around". Following are two quotes from the article:

1. The reduction in available system memory depends on the devices that are
installed in the computer. However, to avoid potential driver compatibility
issues, the 32-bit versions of Windows Vista limit the total available
memory to 3.12 GB. See the "More information" section for information about
potential driver compatibility issues.
If a computer has many installed devices, the available memory may be
reduced to 3 GB or less. However, the maximum memory available in 32-bit
versions of Windows Vista is typically 3.12 GB.

2. WORKAROUND
For Windows Vista to use all 4 GB of memory on a computer that has 4 GB of
memory installed, the computer must meet the following requirements: (note
therre are several "steps" listed in the article - one of which must be a 64
bit processor).

"JC" wrote in message
I have 4GB of physical RAM, windows vista shows only 3326MB. Does it really
help with performance if I have 4GB or should I just install 3GB memory? I
just bought the additional 2GB memory (had 2GB before) and wondering if I
should exchange for a 1GB one. Thanks.