Old December 8th 07, 03:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
churin

Default Speaker icon missing from sys tray

I contacted vendor's techsupport. He could not explain why. I let him
examine my PC through remote access session. He was doing what I had
done and he could not tell why those are grayed. Then he switched the UI
from Classic to the default UI, and those two icons all of a sudden
showed up on the system tray. I reverted the UI back to the Classic and
the icons fortunately stayed on. He was saying he switched the UI
because the default UI is more convenient for him to use not because he
suspected the Classic UI.
The problem must be a bug related to the Classic UI. The first thing I
did with this PC was to switch the UI to the Classic but if I configured
the network and checked the sound system before switching the UI, then I
would not have this problem.
Thank you anyway for trying to help me.

Michael Walraven wrote:
Sorry, can't help. Never happened to me so have no idea why they would
be grayed out.
Michael

"churin" wrote in message
Michael;

Thanks for your response.
I followed your suggestion and saw 'Volume' and 'Network' under System
Icons. But both are grayed so I could not add check marks. What could
be wrong?

PS: Network icon is also not shown on the system tray.

Churin

Michael Walraven wrote:
Right click in the taskbar area
select properties
notification area tab
system icons
should have a box to select for Volume

Michael

"churin" wrote in message
Speaker icon for volume control is missing from the system tray.
This is with a brand new notebook PC I just bought. Otherwise, audio
is working just fine. Could anyone help?