Old December 12th 07, 10:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
John H

Default HP All-in-one printers disappearing when there are changes in

I mentioned that I was having problems with my 6310 and that I would post
again if my problem was resolved. I am glad I didn't post too soon! I also
am unable to accurately express my frustration with HP and with MS. It was a
huge mistake to purchase Vista instead of XP for my new computer. The fact
that I had a perfectly good HP PSC 750 which HP wouldn't support in Vista
should have been a clue for me, but nooooooo - I had to go out and purchase a
new HP printer which doesn't work with Vista.

HP support were very polite and suggested numerous things, most of which
didn't work. The only thing that seemed to work was to turn off the "CUE"
service as I mentioned in my previous post. That resulted in a working
(networked) printer, but left me with regular error messages which were
bothersome, but the printer worked. Now, today, although my printer shows
"ready" as a network device nothing prints. I have been working on it for
about two hours, including rebooting the computer, which curiously didn't
clear the print cue. I have just tried shutting off the Windows Print
Spooler service and turning it back on and then rebooting. For some reason,
I now have a working printer. Temporarily.

The joke is that this 2+ hour effort was merely to print address labels for
Xmas cards. This kind of time savings I don't need.

Sadly, the only folks reading this will have likely already purchased an HP
printer. If not, don't! If you can return yours, like I should have done, I
recommend you do so. Both HP and MS have known about this problem for at
least 6 months. I don't accept that they can't fix it, they are likely just
too embroiled in a ****ing match over who should be responsible.

"jgrobert" wrote:

I have an HP 6310 on my SOHO network and access it from two computers running
Vista 64. One is a laptop and the other a workstation. I have been fighting
this for months.

I have hounded HP and they number of incidents sent to MS probably goes over
100. I agree that it is very difficult to understand why both of these
companies just ignore this. Don't they care?

Anyway, any future small items such as scanner or printer that I buy WILL
NOT BE HP. This driver issues is not new to HP. I had two HP scanners that
I had to discard simply because HP would not update the drivers as the OSes
changed. My HP Color Laserjet seams to have good drivers and support.

I have had exceptionally good experience with the Epson scanner and photo
printer. They are on USB and not Ethernet but they work perfectly all the
time and NO driver isses and that includes Vist 64.

I am thinking of filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission about
these HP products not being suitable to etheir intended use. ALL complaints
are susposed to be answered.

The more who do that the more effect it will have.

"John H" wrote:

I have just installed a HP 6310 about a week ago and am encountering the
same problem. I reinstalled the software then disabled HP CUE Device
discovery (I also tried the fix provided by HP
"CIT223969-HPCOM-Baloo32-v4(2).exe" but when I ran it, it said I didn't have
any applicable HP devices - perhaps because I ran it after disabling the HP
CUE...)

I will see if this suggestion works. I am debating returning the 6310 and
maybe trying something with network capabilities from Canon. I am a little
surprised with both MS and HP that a problem such as this (this thread
started five months ago) doesn't seem to have an official fix!

"binaryboyz" wrote:

Hi,
As u said.
This is a know problem. The blame is 50% HP 50% MS. Part of it is
the
bugs in the new MS Vista TCP/IP stack; make sure you have the latest
drivers for your network adapter. The other part is on the HP
service
crashing when the driver fails and triggering HP CUE Device
discovery
to delete the printer. HP is working on a patch. If somebody
volunteers
a share I can send the updated DLLs.

I would like to see those DLL files so that i can do some research on
this issue.

Thanks,

Jasdev(binaryboyz)

--