Wireless LAN PCI Card Asus WL-138G not recognized/ IEEE 802.11g 54

Old May 20th 07, 08:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mstevens

Default Wireless LAN PCI Card Asus WL-138G not recognized/ IEEE 802.11g 54

did a clean install of MS Vista Ultimate (previously I ran Windows XP without
problems).
After installation my wireless network card is not recognized. Can somebody
please give some advice how to deal with this problem. Thanks !!
Old May 20th 07, 10:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

Unfortunately, many drivers for wireless are ONLY available on
Windows Update for Vista. This means that you have to have a wired
connection, establish connectivity to the Internet with the wireless
NIC in the machine (and turned on, if applicable). Sometimes the
driver is immediately offered automatically, sometimes you need to
run update driver from device manager.

Please report back if you are able to install it this way

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Old May 20th 07, 02:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Vladimir Poddubnyy

My WL-138g did not work at all (even through Windows Update).
ASUS also didn't have drivers for it (while it had for WL-138g V2 or gE).
Forum seach showed that the issue is in Marvell chip used in it which has no
Vista driver.

For 32-bit Vista it was possible to install XP driver, but it worked
unstable (in terms of connection). For 64-bit Vista the XP64 driver did not
load as unsigned. When signing disabled, it also worked strange...
The best solution I found was to replace the card with another one

"Barb Bowman" сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:

Old May 20th 07, 05:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mstevens

Default Wireless LAN PCI Card Asus WL-138G not recognized/ IEEE 802.11

Thanks for your reply. Do I undertsand it correctely that I have to
re-install my previous Windows XP and perform an Windows Vista update instead
of an clean Vista install ?

Old May 20th 07, 08:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

no. hopefully you have a WIRED ethernet connection as well. connect
with that.

Old May 21st 07, 10:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
vikram

wrote:

did a clean install of MS Vista Ultimate (previously I ran Windows XP without
problems).
After installation my wireless network card is not recognized. Can somebody
please give some advice how to deal with this problem. Thanks !!
--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnisthttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

IT SHOULD BE IN WORKGROUP

Old May 21st 07, 01:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

try the ASUS forums
http://vip.asus.com/forum/default.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Old May 21st 07, 02:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mstevens

Yep, logged a case yesterday via ASUS website. Waiting for an answer....
Will post the answer here.

Old May 25th 07, 07:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mstevens

Received answer from ASUS :

The drivers will be available in a few weeks. Till that time you can use
the built-in wireless drivers of Windows Vista. Please search online for
the driver during installation process. It will install "Marvell
Libertas".

Installed the Marvell Libertas but that did not solve the problem. Reported
this but no answer back from ASUS.
So waiting or buying another wireless card. Any suggestions : good wireless
network wards for Vista ?