Old September 8th 06, 11:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jane C

Default UAC / Signed Drivers / etc. are a joke :(

Ryan, if you have a spare partition or hard drive, you may be interested in
downloading and installing the 120 day trial version of XP Professional x64
Edition which is still available from Microsoft. You may be pleasantly
surprised ;-) Don't give up on x64 completely.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation :-)

"Ryan" wrote in message
I already reverted to 32-bit and I have been able to run everything. I
even
found a cd-mounter which hasn't been blocked by MS yet. It really sucks
that
I had to downgrade to get control over my system though.

"MICHAEL" wrote:

Try VistaBoot Pro. There is a setting to allow
unsigned drivers to work. Have a look at the
screenshot below.
http://www.pro-networks.org/vistaboo...P2Advanced.png

http://www.pro-networks.org/vistabootpro/index.php

-Michael

"Ryan" wrote in message
Ok, I cannot comprehend what Microsoft was thinking. I cannot install
sound
drivers. I cannot install 3rd party applications that I paid for that
require driver installs. For example, Alcohol 120%. I used that to
mount
images that I own the rights to. Guess what - no matter what I do or
tweak,
Vista 64-bit will NOT allow it to install a driver. Same goes for
Cubase.
I'm driving myself insane with this.

If this is how Vista is going to be, it is robbing me of my freedom to
run
whatever I want. I am so sick and tired of all the prompts, the
restrictions, etc. I can't even hear sound because of the 64-bit
version's
paranoia of unsigned drivers. There is NO way I will ever use Vista as
an OS
if this is how it is. I'm sorry, I build my computer with my money and
it is
my right to run the show how I'd like and install whatever drivers I
want
risky or not.

I really don't understand this. It actually sickens me. Looks like
I'll
either be sticking with XP for many more years or I'll have to try to
pick up
Linux.

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...sta.sec urity